Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

We have had a lovely long weekend!

(4 Posts)
Hulababy Tue 28-Oct-08 22:00:56

Busy, but great fun.

On Saturday me, DH and 6yo DD heading off to Hull to catch the overnight ferry to Zebrugge. DD was really excited on the boat, especially with her cabin and the bunk beds, lol. We had dinner on the ferry, saw a magic show and then all retired earlish for bed. Have to say the crossing wasn't great - gale force 8 so a fair bit of rocking, but no where near as bad as I have known it ont he Dover-Calais trips. DD slept through it all anyway.

Sunday we docked nice and early and was in Bruges before 10am. We went on a canal boat trip, visited a chocolate museum and tasted lots of chocolate! DH and I tasted the beer too wink Weather stayed nice and dry until about an hour before we had to head ack for the coach, so not too bad luckily. We then got back on the ferry, watched Mamma Mia in the cinema (DD loves it!), had dinner and another early night. Crossing was much better this time - no movement hardly at all, so we all got a good night's sleep.

We arrived back in Hull on Monday morning and drove over to York. On the morning we went to the Jorvik museum. Me and DD had never been before and it was really good. DD was fascinated with the ride aspect of it, seeing the sights and sounds of viking York. She spent a while takig to a viking too, who told her at age 6 she needed to start keeping her eye out for a good husband, as she would need to marry at 12y and wanted to get a good one who would earn lots of money for her, ideally someone like a soldier. She was rather bemused, lol. We then went off to Betty's for afternoon tea Fab, as ever. DD wanted the Cinderella lunch - so had the big three tiers of sandwiches, scones and cakes, as did I. lovely. We then had a wander before heading to the hotel overnight.

Then today, Tuesday, we headed off to Eden Camp. DD is doing WW2 stuff at school and her school is celebrating its 60th anniversary with los of 1940s work. So she found the whole thing really interesting, although found the U boat shelter a bit alarming (so did I I have to admit!). Then just called in out the York outlet place for an hour on the way home, called at a friends house to pick out other car up (left it there Friday night!) and came home.

All in all a fab few days. Was also really nice to spend time just the three of us, as we don't do that a huge amount recently. Was a bit concerned DD might long for some more child company but she was an angel, an absolute delight to be with all the time And she even managed to make friends with some children in the soft play whilst waiting for the ferry, so got some child centred playtime then anyway.

And the ferry trip to Bruges was a bargain - £98.50 for the three of us in total; that was for a standard inside cabin. We paid extra on top of that for dinner in the restaurant.

Some pics on my profile.

twinsetandpearls Wed 29-Oct-08 11:27:55

Lovely pictures I bet you are shattered though.

Hulababy Wed 29-Oct-08 13:22:40

Actually no, bar the first night when I stuggled a bit we got good night's sleeps each night - and DD slept really well. And as we were all sharing one room DH and I had more early nights than normal. And as just the three of us, no rushing around trying to suit everyone's needs as much. Was quite relexaed for a busy weekend.

twinsetandpearls Wed 29-Oct-08 13:55:23

It does sound lovely and very reasonable do and I keep thinking about doing something similar

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now