Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Glasgow

(17 Posts)
fin54 Tue 21-Oct-08 09:31:00

5 of us going to Glasgow in December for a concert in the SECC, staying in the Central Hotel, can does anyone know of any nice places to eat, lunch & tea's etc that are near to the hotel.

squeaver Tue 21-Oct-08 18:35:17

Haven't lived in Glasgow for many a year but would say the West End (byres Road and Ashton Lane) and Merchant City would be good places to start.

Not exactly sure where the Central Hotel is, tbh.

Skramble Wed 22-Oct-08 01:33:27

This site could be handy

There is so much choice in central Glasgow and you are right in the middle.

I like China Buffet King on hope street for lunch. Or the HorseshoeBar is popular for lunches.

Kama Sutra ion Sauchihall Street is a good indian.

Loads of places do good pre theatre menus at good prices.

Skramble Wed 22-Oct-08 01:38:19

Bit further out and a while since I have been but still gets good write ups is La Fiorentina, Italian. Need to get a taxi.

O Sole Mio is another more central Italian, looks a bit run down from outside but is really good and waiters fantastic.

umberellascankill Wed 22-Oct-08 07:45:28

Merchant City

EsmeWeatherwax Wed 22-Oct-08 09:53:05

The Central Hotel is the big one at central station. So all you would need to do is walk up Argyll Street and you'd be in restaurant heaven in the Merchant city. Plenty to choose from, from Russian to Thai to Scots to Tapas. Alternatively, walk up Hope Street and along to the far end of Sauchiehall Street/Bath Street, and again, loads of fab places. Look on 5pm.com for deals and offers and also menus etc.

Skramble Wed 22-Oct-08 23:24:25

Ahha %pm dot com I was going to suggest that but couldn't remember .

LadySweet Thu 23-Oct-08 18:30:10

Cafe Mao is ace, sorta fusion cuisine. Great cocktails in The Metropolitan in Merchant City.

RaggedRobin Thu 23-Oct-08 23:21:05

cafe gandolfi and cranberries are both nice cafes for lunch in the merchant city (an area off argyle street)

cafe mao is good for chinese, mother india (sauchiehall st) and cafe india (the other end of argyle street)good for indian.

my favourite restaurant is number 16 byres road in the west end. mmm. lovely.

ja9 Thu 23-Oct-08 23:24:02

you have to go to princes sq for a coffee if not a meal. especially in dec! if you're luckily there will be carol singers by the fabulous christmas tree!

MrsMuddle Thu 23-Oct-08 23:50:39

Wherever you choose, book in advance. I have spent most of this evening ringing round for a table on Saturday night, without much success. It'll be worse in December, with Christams nights out booked in advance.

My favourite restaurant is the Grill in Princes Square or Urban Grill on St Vincent St. Go to 5pm.co.uk for a full listing of what's in the city centre and Merchant City.

Enjoy.

Aimsmum Sat 25-Oct-08 00:31:08

Message withdrawn

fin54 Sun 26-Oct-08 10:27:42

Hiya , 5 girls from work going to see the magic of motown, we are only going for one night and hope to take in a bit of shopping so would want to stay mostly in the central of Glasgow.Thanks everyone for all the help they have given so far.

seb1 Sun 26-Oct-08 10:45:42

You could have the Festive lunch menu at the Corinthian then get straight back to shopping grin

whinegums Sun 26-Oct-08 12:20:51

Fifi and Ally on Wellington St and Princes Square - fab cakes and a great afternoon tea. Cafe Gandolfi in the Merchant City, Bar Gandolfi upstairs is great, and good cocktails. If you're going to the west end (a skip and a hop in a cab, which are cheap, or on the underground) you have to go to the Ubiquitous Chip - for food and/or drinks. Also Stravaigin and the Liquid Ship are great. Mother India or Balbir's for Indian food.

Have a look at the Eating and Drinking guide at The List - Scotland's answer to Time Out - online. Have a fab time!!!

PoppyCock Sun 26-Oct-08 12:41:01

mother india or the wee curry shop for indian in west end, cafe gandolfi in town for food, ubiquitous chip and no 16 great in west end again... which sounds far away but it's fifteen mins on underground and well worth going there. town can be a bit, er, hairy imo.

RaggedRobin Sun 26-Oct-08 20:51:45

ooo - forgot fifi and ali - good shout, whinegums. perfect for a girl's day out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now