Talk

Advanced search

Romantic long weekend recommendations

(22 Posts)
happyfaceschildcare Mon 13-Oct-08 17:29:21

Hi, my dp and I are getting married next year and I feel bad about leaving my dd to go on a long honeymoon without her so thought we'd do a minimoon and just go somewhere for a long weekend in europe so it's not to far to come home if there is some kind of emergency does anyone have any good suggestions for this kind of thing ??
Thanks

MummyDoIt Mon 13-Oct-08 17:30:34

Barcelona is my favourite European city. So much to see, absolutely beautiful. We had a romantic break there before we had the DCs and it was one of best holidays.

dorothybunny Wed 15-Oct-08 14:20:43

Prague - No doubt about it! Romantic but lots to see and do too. We stayed here. Beautiful hotel and fabulous location well away from the usual touristy hotels but still incredibly close to the centre of the city. My DH did so much research on where we should stay and this place won. Would dearly love to go back.

tonysoprano Wed 15-Oct-08 14:21:38

paris, the most romatic city on the world!!

Skramble Wed 22-Oct-08 01:40:27

Paris get a cheap flight and soak up the romantic atmosphere.

LadySweet Thu 23-Oct-08 20:33:57

Paris or Florence

PrincessButtercup Thu 23-Oct-08 20:38:36

I know it's the Marmite of romantic destinations and you have to pick your time but I love Venice. Done properly, it's amazing. Stayed at Ca Maria Adele a couple of years ago (boutiquey B&B). Am all dewey eyed just remembering!

QueenFee Thu 23-Oct-08 20:40:13

we toured europe for our honeymoon and loved Brugge and Paris.

luckylady74 Thu 23-Oct-08 20:42:46

Iwould second Barcelona - really small and easy to get around on foot, atmospheric, culture and shops -whichever you prefer and lots of lovely bubbly cava bars.

MortBlackCatResident Thu 23-Oct-08 20:45:06

Another vote for Prague here.

MorocconOil Thu 23-Oct-08 20:45:18

Bordeaux is really nice.

MaloryDontDiveItsShallow Thu 23-Oct-08 20:47:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nigglewiggle Thu 23-Oct-08 20:47:57

Venice or Barcelona (but don't go out to eat before 10pm).

stardazzle Thu 23-Oct-08 20:53:52

where do you live? we stayed in fab hotel near hull which had a health suite, food was lovely and the room was beautiful, and lets be honest no children for 48-72 hours on your honeymoon, the bed and room will be the most important rather than where you are!

Aimsmum Thu 23-Oct-08 21:01:25

Message withdrawn

geordieminx Thu 23-Oct-08 21:04:03

Barcelona is amazing
Prague is also lovely
Copenhagen is nice
Havent been to any Italian citiesbut lots of friends love Rome
HATE HATE HATE Paris

PortofinoPumpkin Thu 23-Oct-08 21:14:04

Barcelona or Prague again. Paris is lovely but v. expensive and busy. Or thinking about it I absolutely love Seville!

fourkidsmum Fri 24-Oct-08 20:37:33

i would second (or third or fourth?) venice

went for a long weekend with dp last summer and it was absolutely perfect!

also, quite accidently did it a really nice way - can thoroughly recommend...stayed on Lido - beautiful beach, nice and quiet, lovely bars and restaurants - and caught boat over to venice itself for siteseeing. this worked soooo well - when we got off the water bus coming 'home' in the evening for a nice quiet stroll on the beach, meal etc etc, the hoards were queuing to get back over to the city.

so we snuggled up in peace and quiet at night away from the throngs of tourists and hustle and bustle. was dreamy...

poshtottie Fri 24-Oct-08 20:59:33

Monte Carlo, easy quick flight to Nice. I went here for my 40th www.chevredor.com

PrincessButtercup Fri 24-Oct-08 22:44:39

ahh, fourkids that does sound a lovely way of doing it. Did you go to Locanda Cipriani on Torcello? We had the most perfect long lunch there....

Sorry to hijack happyfaces; I couldn't resist! I hope the minimoon plans are going well.

fourkidsmum Sat 25-Oct-08 11:17:51

no...we've missed out

we'll just have to go back!

wintera Sat 01-Nov-08 20:22:26

Most romantic times we have had where in these places -

Rome - Got engaged there and went back for our first wedding anniversary.

Vienna - Where we went for our Honeymoon.

Paris - Went for a weekend just before we found out I was pregnant. Stayed in Montmatre.

Barcelona - Absolutely gorgeous city. Would love to go again as we didn't do it justice.

I know you said Europe but in the UK we love -

Haworth - Lovely romantic hotel called The Old Registry inn there. We stayed in another one but would love to go back and go there. Rooms are supposed to be wonderful.

Whitby - We stayed in an old fisherman's cottage at the bottom of the 199 steps. Very atmospheric and its great cuddling up on a cold night! wink Staithes further up the coast is also very nice.

Loch Lomond, Skye and Loch Ness - We had a great time in all of these places when doing a tour of Scotland.

Not been to Venice, Prague, Bruges or Geneva but they are all next on our wish list. Hope you book somewhere soon and really hope you have a nice romantic honeymoon too!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: