Talk

Advanced search

might need to be posting in relationships in a minute... Alexander House have moved my booking to Langshott Manor and it looks vile - please tell me quick if you've been there and what it was like!!!!!

(21 Posts)
mummyc Fri 19-Sep-08 21:43:30

Booked Alexander House for tomorrow for our anniversary, our room has been flooded and it's full, so they're moving us to Langshott Manor but I hate the look of it - and now we're descending into 'cancel the whole thing' arguments over spending money on something we don't really want to do vs staying at home all disappointed - could scream if it wouldn't wake the DS up and feels like the whole weekend is ruined regardless of what we do sad

traceybath Fri 19-Sep-08 21:46:23

Haven't been to longshott manor but we had a night away last year which ended up in a shite hotel. Well we did switch hotels after seeing our room but it still wasn't great.

Anyway my point is if you're not sure i'd cancel and book something else for another time. I realise thats not a great solution but we just found it was depressing to have a much awaited child-free night in a not so great hotel.

Could you just go out for dinner tomorrow and then go away in a few weeks time?

FiveGoMadInDorset Fri 19-Sep-08 21:47:15

Can you not postpone?

mummyc Fri 19-Sep-08 21:48:49

that's what he says - not sure I won't be all miserable for ages though - they are offering us a really good deal and it will be nice enough, just too posh - super expensive restaurant, frills everywhere, gold taps etc not my bag at all........am not great at living with my decisions though..........

mummyc Fri 19-Sep-08 21:50:02

timing is hard as we've no local family, so our babysitters are travelling from the other side of country to stay the weekend and right now I should be cleaning for their arrival...

DrNortherner Fri 19-Sep-08 21:51:10

Have they offerred you anything as a result of the move?

Btw, I work in the industry and a 'flooded room' is a classic excuse for an over booking situation. I would be hmm

mummyc Fri 19-Sep-08 21:52:59

thats what i thought, they were v apologetic, we've been offered a room upgrade, use of the spa at the first place and a bottle of champagne. thought that they might also be lying makes me inclined to not use them at all, but realise it's probably normal

traceybath Fri 19-Sep-08 21:54:13

ok - i've now googled both and see what you mean.

langshott (not longshott as i typed earlier) looks nice but v traditional - i'd personally want a room upgrade and champagne. I'd phone and really lay on the line about childcare issues etc - make them feel guilty.

mummyc Fri 19-Sep-08 21:55:33

been offered that traceybath.......d'you think I'm being daft? am driving myself and my dh up the wall! blush

traceybath Fri 19-Sep-08 21:57:20

i'd be the same - i am way too control freaky when it comes to hotels!

but it does look nice and hey after a couple of glasses of champagne it will look amazing.

DrNortherner Fri 19-Sep-08 21:58:00

I would phone and say they are potentially ruining a special weekend.

Ask if another guest (not celebrating an anniversary) can be booked out instead of yuo.

How long has it been booked for?

mummyc Fri 19-Sep-08 22:00:46

glad it's not just me smile

feel like a spoilt child as have the chance (and the space on my credit card!) to celebrate our anniversary in a nice way but am trying to choose between 'make the best of it and feel like you could have had more fun with the cash' and 'stay home and worry that it could have been fine, and have to find something to do tomorrow and another weekend some other time'

gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh

FiveGoMadInDorset Fri 19-Sep-08 22:01:52

It's not just you would be the same, I like DrN's suggestion.

mummyc Fri 19-Sep-08 22:01:59

DN only this week - thought it might be last in first out

DrNortherner Fri 19-Sep-08 22:10:48

Hmmm. doesn't really make sense for them to overbook the week of arrival, unless someone there has made a huge cock up.

Were you just staying 1 night?

mummyc Fri 19-Sep-08 22:15:16

yip, is all we have childcare (and time!) for

mummyc Fri 19-Sep-08 22:16:33

just going to give them a call now, not going to go to the other hotel so will try and get back in or will just have to cancel (sniff)

mummyc Fri 19-Sep-08 22:27:56

Ok, am a bit more convinced that it's real - just been talking to the receptionist, it's about 4 rooms, affected electrics too, caused problems for a wedding they had in today etc. The reservations people are going to call me at 8.30 tomorrow and try and move me back to the 1st hotel by seeing if someone else will move to the 2nd. Failing that we'll cancel and do something else some other time.

Thanks for the sanity checking ladies grin

DrNortherner Fri 19-Sep-08 22:28:57

Good luck.

traceybath Fri 19-Sep-08 22:34:14

Hope it works out

mummyc Mon 22-Sep-08 13:49:51

quick update - we did go in the end, with a lot of umming and erring on our part. We did the spa at Alexander, then over to Langshott then back to Alexander for dinner (didn't fancy fine dining at the Langshott)and back to the Langshott for b&b. Was a bit messy, for example the cab coming back was the wrong type and he had to drive around to find a cashpoint so we could pay him and then get the money back in the morning but overall they did a good job of overcoming all my objections so in the end the only problems were the time wasted working out what to do on friday night and then the 90 min or so going back and forth between the hotels. Good news is that the Langshott was much nicer than it looked from the website, not so chintzy, bit more understated - although the feature of our feature room was a roll top bath with stripes painted on hmm in a bathroom right next to the back door of the kitchen, had to keep the blind down all the time. Had we got a feature room with a fireplace I'd have been all smiles. and the location was nice, pretty gardens to walk around and some country paths for a hangover-busting walk on Sunday, although the noise from Gatwick was constant.

So thanks again for your input on Friday when I was going mad and about to get into a big domestic row grin and now am fairly calm (for a monday at work anyway) after a nice weekend

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now