Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone help me find a nice hotel for THIS SATURDAY for our anniversary pretty please??

(31 Posts)
mummyc Mon 15-Sep-08 14:59:56

It's our 10 year anniversary this sunday and my SIL has agreed to come and stay so we can go away for the night (Sat 20th). I'm really struggling to find anything, despite having spent most of the last 3 days at work on MN, lastminute, mr and mrs smith etc looking for something.....

looking for:
a massive and comfy bed
a nice room
somewhere to go for walks (ideally a beach)
ideally a small / interesting hotel
countryside-ish

and to be within a couple of hours of Basingstoke, but not London.

budget is about £300 for the whole weekend - saw a deal at pennyhill park after reading a thread on here that included spa (my ideal but not his...) but was £345 not including any food at all.

Whaddya think? I'm starting to think my amazing weekend with my lovely DH fantasies are going to evaporate in a haze of 'two night min stay at weekend' smoke sad

[pathetically hopes someone will take pity and point to the answer]

forevercleaning Mon 15-Sep-08 15:01:25

ashdown forest hotel, east sussex?

forevercleaning Mon 15-Sep-08 15:02:18

sorry ashdown park hotel

http://www.ashdownpark.com/

cremolafoam Mon 15-Sep-08 15:04:21

divine place run by sister of vvrouleaux ribbon shop

forevercleaning Mon 15-Sep-08 15:04:52

have not checked prices but know its good, just on school run so if its not in the prices range apologies, but know its fab.

cremolafoam Mon 15-Sep-08 15:05:27

like the look of here too

squeaver Mon 15-Sep-08 15:08:00

hotel du vin brighton?

lulumama Mon 15-Sep-08 15:09:18

www.thevincenthotel.com 5 star boutique hotel in southport, has a spa, on the coast, fabulous beds, fab restaurant

cremolafoam Mon 15-Sep-08 15:12:16

heard nice things abouthere

mummyc Mon 15-Sep-08 15:12:16

cremolafoam that looks amazing but too far for this weekend, have saved the address for future though!

forevercleaning I think you just might have made my day with that one, looks nice and is in budget (woo hoo!)

do you know if it's very formal? from the website it looks a bit stuffy but happy to go with a recommendation of fab as IME a great hotel experience does not always follow a great website!

cq Mon 15-Sep-08 15:12:53

Try this one - it's a friend of a friend's sister who's just opened it and she sent me the link. Looks lovely on the website, couple of hours down the M4. No idea of prices but worth a call.

www.thegrove-narberth.co.uk/

cremolafoam Mon 15-Sep-08 15:16:43

not too far awy and looks tasteful

mummyc Mon 15-Sep-08 15:16:53

ohhhhhhhhhhh cremolofoam that papa stour place is where i need to be right now!!!

just flew home from a weekend in scotland with my DS visiting my mum and am really homesick today (its basingstoke hampshire, should have said...)

lulumama same distance problem - loos great though - take it you've been there?

I can see a lovely road trip coming on...

lulumama Mon 15-Sep-08 15:19:32

yes, i have been there,it lives up to the hype smile

mummyc Mon 15-Sep-08 15:21:58

that pembrokeshire place looks great cq, might be a bit much of a drive I think though, takes us 90 min to get as far as Bristol from here.

cremolafoam where are you finding these places? The sussex place looks beautiful and much more my DH's cup of tea than a posh hotel (although I say bring on the 5 star spa wink)

also, really really need to have some cremolafoam to drink now - I loved the pink one and would always put too much in to make it fizz over grin

mummyc Mon 15-Sep-08 15:23:50

v jealous lulumama, i went to a nice hotel with a spa back in Nov but got called out of the spa after 25 min as my DS (who was 4 months at the time and with his daddy) was inconsolable - and then he fell asleep after a 10 min feed hmm

cmotdibbler Mon 15-Sep-08 15:25:36

The Ashdown Forest is beautiful, as is Alexander House here which has a lovely spa. If you go there, be sure to have a lunch at the Griffin in Fletching - totally fantastic food !

whatshallicallDD2 Mon 15-Sep-08 15:26:34

Cowley Manor in Gloucestershire

Drakes in Brighton (get the room with the bath overlooking the sea)

whatshallicallDD2 Mon 15-Sep-08 15:27:04

Mmmmm - the Griffin in Fletching is my fav pub ever.

cremolafoam Mon 15-Sep-08 15:35:10

I save up these places when i spot them in magazines or get recommendation from friends.my cousin has stayed in the high house one- they are into horses and dogs and were made to feel very welcome indeed.
i live a vicarious life the rest of the time tho.But it is cheering to just look!

cremolafoam Mon 15-Sep-08 15:36:34

ps it was raspberry flavour
i was brought up on it as a child.the dear mother was known to have filled my bottle with it.shock
pic on profile

mabanana Mon 15-Sep-08 15:36:42

www.thegeorgeinrye.com/?source=GAds&gclid=CM3ZiMOC3pUCFQzBGgod4jK8Yg

mummyc Mon 15-Sep-08 15:38:36

wsicdd2 - both of those are full, but thanks - read about that bath overlooking the sea yonks ago and have always wanted to go there...is my birthday in Jan and I'm thinking a night away will be all I'm asking for now, with the chance to plan in advance a bit!

wsicdd2 / cd should I book at the Griffin if we go that way? Great food sounds like a plan, as the sunday is our actual anniversary (and one year we got caught out without a reservation and ended up at a little chef angry grin)

mummyc Mon 15-Sep-08 15:42:41

tried the george from a google search , it's full too - all these organised people with their weekends sorted envy

CF - you have to be scottish too in that case, home of feeding rubbish to kids grinas a child i had a bar of chocolate for my 'playpiece' every day and a bag of crisps for supper, lol. 3 days at home (and I'm in my 30s now) and I'm covered in spots again!!

Sycamoretree Mon 15-Sep-08 15:44:23

Babbington House?
The Grove Hotel?
Cowley Manor?
Blanch House?

Oh god, just the thought of it....I am so envy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now