Talk

Advanced search

Weekend break to New York - please help

(13 Posts)
lisalisa Tue 19-Aug-08 09:30:52

My best friend has just announced her wedding date of 21 September in New York. dh and I would love ot go but preliminary search of last minute.com seems to suggest about £700 per person for flights and 4night stay in hotel.

Has anyone been to New York for wekend before and can recommned travel agent/website which may have cheaper deals? Seems awfully expensive to me....sad

RubySlippers Tue 19-Aug-08 09:33:41

Expedia.com

Virgin usually have cheapish flights

deedledum Tue 19-Aug-08 09:35:53

Yep we got a v reasonable 4 night stay from expedia, sure it was less that £1000 for the 2 of us

Soapbox Tue 19-Aug-08 09:38:38

Trailfinders are good on price.

Keep flight costs lower by flying Gatwick to Newark, rather than Heathrow to JFK.

If you are flexible with where you stay, then try hotwire hotwire where you get really good rates on hotels but don't know what hotel you will get until you have booked. Priceline is good for cheap hotels too.

Trailfinders might be your best bet though!

Aimsmum Tue 19-Aug-08 09:49:04

Message withdrawn

CountessDracula Tue 19-Aug-08 09:53:56

if you look on expedia Virgin have flights for £313 each Friday to Monday

£313.50 avg/person (£627.00 total)
- Expedia Special Fare

20:25 Depart London (LHR)
Arrive Newark (EWR) 23:05 Fri 19-Sep
Duration: 7hr 40min Virgin Atlantic 17
Direct flight

07:30 Depart New York (JFK)
Arrive London (LHR) 19:10 Mon 22-Sep
Duration: 6hr 40min Virgin Atlantic 26
Direct flight

No idea how long you want to go for

Where do you need to stay? You can get reasonable accom so would be much cheaper than £700 each

cmotdibbler Tue 19-Aug-08 10:11:38

Try asking a travel agent to look for you - they can access package deals that work out a lot cheaper - I got flights to Boston this September for 250 quid because they booked a car (which I won't use).

Thomson can do a flights and hotel package for 1k for both of you

lisalisa Tue 19-Aug-08 14:31:18

Great - thanks a lot - lot's of super info here to work through. Re flying Gatwick to Newark, how far is Newark to New York?

cmotdibbler Tue 19-Aug-08 14:45:57

Newark is New Jersey - doesn't take much longer to get into Manhattan from there than from JFK ime - times here

RubySlippers Tue 19-Aug-08 14:47:48

i have flown to Newark a few times

as a PP has siad it isn't a hassle to get into the city from there

JamInMyWellies Tue 19-Aug-08 14:59:01

I used to fly into Newark all the time just as quick to get into Manhatten from there as it is from JFK. Used to cost about $60.

Soapbox Tue 19-Aug-08 15:02:10

I always do Newark as the immigration is much quicker and the taxi queue much shorter!

It takes about 30mins into centre of New York.

hockeypuck Tue 19-Aug-08 15:08:58

Taxis are great from either JFK or Newark as it is a set fare, someone else will be able to tell you what it is recently.

You can get bargains with hotels. IN NY you are only ever going to be sleeping and showering in your hotel so don't have a fancy one.

We stayed in The Salisbury Hotel which is well reviewed on Trip Advisor (read all the NY reviews there). Someone from MN recommended it to us about 4 years ago. It was fab, cheap, central (one block from Tiffany's and Central Park) and not far from subway.

We found it much cheaper by booking flight and hotel seperately.

HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now