Talk

Advanced search

I am being taken away to Jersey this weekend. Anyone been?

(25 Posts)
Pinkchampagne Wed 13-Aug-08 21:12:39

My DP has just booked up to take me there this weekend to celebrate us being together a year.
I know nothing about Jersey. Has anyone been? Is it nice?

BreeVanderCampLGJ Wed 13-Aug-08 21:15:17

Ohhhhh some is from there, I think it is Finbar, but it may be Dinny.

Keep your eyes peeled for both of them. You may need to CAT them.

MmeLindt Wed 13-Aug-08 21:17:38

I was there as a child so can tell you nothign about it except that it was lovely. While I was there Princess Di gave birth to William

And that I wore my first bikini there, a pink one

There, that helped you loads

canofworms Wed 13-Aug-08 21:21:09

I went a few years back.

There's a nice diamond factory there is my abiding memory wink

Pinkchampagne Wed 13-Aug-08 21:29:51

Thanks for the replies. I know nothing about Jersey, so good to hear from people who have been!

Not sure I can scrounge diamonds as well as being taken away!wink

MmeLindt Wed 13-Aug-08 21:32:59

I seem to remember my Granny going to an incredible flower festival, I am not sure when that is.

Pinkchampagne Wed 13-Aug-08 21:48:56

So you were there in 1982, MmeLindt?!

MmeLindt Wed 13-Aug-08 22:10:46

lol, yes, must have been.

There is a castle there, I can vaguely remember there being some kind of exhibition there. We stayed with my uncle in La Roque (if I have spelt that right) just across the road from the beach.

We used to walk along the beach to St Helier.

There were also bunkers left over from the war. The Germans occupied Jersey during the war.

I hope that someone comes along with some proper suggestions, instead of my vague 26 year old shock memories. That made me feel old, working that out!

Pinkchampagne Wed 13-Aug-08 22:14:20

But I'm sure you were just a toddler yourself at the time, which is why you only have hazy memories!

MmeLindt Wed 13-Aug-08 22:24:17

lol, a bit older than a toddler

At least this nonsence is keeping your thread bumped until a Jersey resident comes to your aid

HappypillsGalore Wed 13-Aug-08 22:39:57

ooh, dp took me there for my bday w/end the other week. was loooovely

HappypillsGalore Wed 13-Aug-08 22:40:44

do you know where youre staying?

Pinkchampagne Wed 13-Aug-08 22:41:37

lol, ML!

Ohhh, was it really nice, HPG? That is good to hear.smile

Pinkchampagne Wed 13-Aug-08 22:43:31

No not yet - he only booked it tonight & sent me a quick text before he left for work. Didn't know where we were going until this evening, but will ask more questions tomorrow.

HappypillsGalore Wed 13-Aug-08 22:43:59

there was a nice wee restaurant we went to on the sunday, right on a quayside at the bottom right of the island (i was reading the map and im more of a visual person than a names one blush)

the beach at the bottom (brelades?) is v nice but most popular on the island i think... lots of traffic leadign there from st heliers each morning

the beach to the left v picturesque and windswept...

the small coves and stuff on the drive to the right of st heliers were looooovely. def where id hang out if i were local.

and the food at our hotel restaurant was to die for. the atlantic it was called (hotel)

HappypillsGalore Wed 13-Aug-08 22:45:30

the restaurant was a bistro-y lookin place. just opened i think. v nice moules frites i had... what the hell was it called now... <racks brains>

Pinkchampagne Wed 13-Aug-08 22:45:52

Sounds lovely, HPG!smile

HappypillsGalore Wed 13-Aug-08 22:48:41

obv the ice cream and cream are to be sampled... and fudge. obv. grin

HappypillsGalore Wed 13-Aug-08 22:51:27

theres a really cool looking house shaped like a boat just behind the beach on the left. tis owned by jersey heritage and rented out by the week... i wanna stay there sometime!

st heliers was well underwhelming... just high street sameness of shops. boring. not worth wasting time in imo.

oh, and parking (assuming you are car hiring) is odd... you buy scratchcards and use them for specific times, but can transfer them from one carpark to another. lots of places sell them, just ask passers by.

HappypillsGalore Wed 13-Aug-08 22:51:59

left/right east/west... you know what i mean... blush

Pinkchampagne Wed 13-Aug-08 23:03:41

Thafor all the info, HPG. Can't wait to go!smile
Not sure if we are hiring a car - might just use cabs & walk.

Did you stay in a hotel?

HappypillsGalore Wed 13-Aug-08 23:46:07

yeah, the atlantic.
was ver nice.

i couldve been in a tent with baked beans and still enjoyed the 2 days/nights without dc tho grin

Pinkchampagne Thu 14-Aug-08 09:35:20

I know the feeling!!grin I feel very ready for this break!

lizziemun Thu 14-Aug-08 10:20:01

It very nice, lots to do.

I can't remember the ladies name but i do remeber that she has 9 kids if that helps.

KT1983 Tue 19-Aug-08 15:24:49

How was your break in Jersey? I was born there & lived there until I was 16 - lovely Island....so pretty...
I went back in march with my boyfriend for a weekend ...and came back engaged!! :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now