Talk

Advanced search

recommendations for somewhere for a dirty weekend in northern england,southern scotland

(15 Posts)
2fedup Sun 20-Jul-08 17:35:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GorgonsGin Sun 20-Jul-08 17:53:19

Edinburgh festival is on in August and unless you are into comedy or have friends to stay with, it's best to avoid then if you're after a quiet, romantic weekend away. Hotels are a fortune too.

If you are looking for a city break, what about York or Harrogate? I can recommend the otel Du Vin in Harrogate. Or for somehting more rural I'd head to the Yorkshire dales/North York Moors (Skipton, Thirsk. They have lots of beautiful little boutique hotels and guest houses and theser's loads to do.

PatsyCline Sun 20-Jul-08 17:59:23

How about Newcastle? There's loads to do in the summer and great hotels such as Malmaison (with mini spa) on the Quayside.

Live Theatre are hosting some Fringe Festival comedy warm ups. If you stay on the Quayside then you're right next to that venue plus The Sage (which is a truly world-class music venue). There are lots of very good restaurants and you can reach the coast easily on the Metro.

Take a look here:

www.visitnewcastlegateshead.co.uk/site/night-out/dance-theatre-and-film

If you would prefer to be out of the city then Seaham Hall on the coast is very posh and has a great spa.

Patsy

2fedup Sun 20-Jul-08 19:35:30

PatsyCline Sun 20-Jul-08 21:12:15

If you're into a northern trip, but unable to persuade your DH out of his anti-Newcastle stance, then Leeds is also great for a weekend. We had a brilliant couple of days there - it is really vibrant and even has Harvey Nicks plus some very nice boutique hotels.

If you go to Seaham Hall, then perhaps you could coax your DH into a short trip to Newcastle? He may be pleasantly surprised.

Patsy

WideWebWitch Sun 20-Jul-08 21:13:29

Where (roughly) are you?
What are the things you want the most?
budget?
Anything that's a must have?
tell me and I'll have a think

PatsyCline Sun 20-Jul-08 21:14:08

OOh, sorry, meant also to point out The Samling which is owned by the same folks as Seahmam Hall. I haven't been but it looks gorgeous. I think there is a link on the Seaham Hall site.

2fedup Mon 21-Jul-08 17:25:36

nailpolish Mon 21-Jul-08 17:27:14

here

2fedup Wed 23-Jul-08 08:16:50

Evmum Tue 05-Aug-08 16:10:33

Hi What about Haworth, Yorkshire? Have a look at wtheoldregistryhaworthcouk
- boutique small hotel/luxury B&B it's got some gorgeous rooms with whirlpools and king size 4 poster beds,the breakfast is great. Friendly but not intrusive and around £90 per night it's a bargain. Haworth village itself is bustling- got good places to eat drink and shop! Also it's got the Bronte museum lovley walks views and a steam train. It's on the edge of the Dales so loads to see there and from the nearest town (10 min drive or 20 by bus)there's a fast train link to Leeds (20 mins)for the serious shopping/ culture! Or the other direction 20 mins to Bradford for a good curry! Have fun wherever you go!

lindseyfox Tue 05-Aug-08 17:07:19

agree with him more than £250 a night is pushing it.

I wont pay more than £100 a night!!!

saltire Tue 05-Aug-08 17:11:28

this is nice lot's to do in the area as well.
this also Moffat is a lovely place as well. There are lots of suggestions for places in Northern England but not many for Southern scotland,

wifeinthesouth Tue 05-Aug-08 23:05:08

now exiled to the south east of england via france and sweden and with 3 children in tow!! i grew up in the souhwest of scotland and lived in and around the central belt. distance / time wise it wont make much difference as there is motorway north and irish ferry traffic west. have a look at the below and see what you think. my number one would be mar hall which is the new contender and where the likes of kylie stay when touring- cameron house is on the lochside but i don't think it rates as highly since de veres took over. you also have stobo c astle. then In south west scotland the little village of port patrick is fantastic with a fabulous fish restaurant called campbells for hotels in south west scotland try this link they have built up a good business recently and are pretty reliable http://www.mcmillanhotels.co.uk/

2fedup Wed 13-Aug-08 07:07:20

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now