Talk

Advanced search

Newcastle and/or surrounding area

(6 Posts)
sphil Fri 11-Jul-08 11:47:57

We want to take Ds1(7) and DS2(5), who is autistic, on their first ever flight in October. DH thought Newcastle would be good. We would stay either in or near the city, probably hire a car and visit places nearby - but will only go Fri - Mon.

Anyone any recommendations for places to stay and things to do? Self catering would be best, but because it's first w/e of half term we probably won't get a short break. DS2 has a very restricted diet, so if we were in a hotel we'd need to be somewhere where they would let us take food/drink for him. We'd also need to be in one room, or two rooms but must have adjoining door.

Thanks - have googled lots, but thought personal recommendations would be good.

sphil Sat 12-Jul-08 23:41:38

bump

Squiz Mon 14-Jul-08 20:29:13

The Centre for Life is pretty good and in the city centre. There is also the Seven Stories place which is a centre for children's books - I haven't been but its worth looking on the net to see what exhibitions they have on. Alnwick Castle looks fab too if you hire a car. Baltic Centre is good for the views. Sorry can't recommend anywhere to stay as we've only been on the train.

princessofpower Fri 18-Jul-08 19:20:06

Message withdrawn

SandyChick Wed 24-Sep-08 21:22:25

What about Beamish Museaum?

LaDiDaDi Wed 24-Sep-08 21:30:23

Ideas for outings:

Beamish if it's a dry day.
Millenium Bridge and Baltic for the lift/art depending upon your age and interests.
Could have a boat trip on the Tyne.
Centre for Life (though I thought it was overpriced and dull tbh).
Hadrians Wall and other Roman sites, Segendum in Wallsend etc.
Tynemouth Priory and beach, there is an aquarium but see CfL for my opinion again.
Alnwick Castle is great but would also recommend Cragside near Rothbury.
Warkworth Castle and this is also in a lovely village with a nice river and lots of pubs. Bamburgh is stunning on a clear day but is quite a drive from Newcastle as is Seahouses and a boat trip to the Farne Islands to see the birds and seals.
Holy Island is also really nice but again may be too far if you wanted to stay in Newcastle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now