Talk

Advanced search

Paris

(8 Posts)
GroovyChic Fri 04-Jul-08 12:34:54

DH and I are off to paris for a weekend. Can anyone recommend places to visit, restaurants etc

Also, I've heard that some places(musuems?) are free to visit on the 1st sunday of each month, is this true? If so ,what places are worth visiting?

thanks

mrsgboring Fri 04-Jul-08 12:43:18

Are you going on your own or with DC(s)? Can recommend taking a child to the Musee d'Orsay - they let you in without queuing.

What are you interested in and have you ever been before?

The free visit thing is definitely true, though I had a vague idea it was the second Sunday of the month... easily checked though.

Can recommend the restaurant (not the cafe) at Musee d'Orsay.

GroovyChic Fri 04-Jul-08 14:06:48

We will be going without the Dcs. We've both been before (not together) years ago though. We like visiting markets, musuems, cathedrals, eating, places with nice scenery/views.

branflake81 Tue 08-Jul-08 18:47:45

I used to live in Paris - St Eustache church near Les Halles shopping centre is worth going into. Nowhere near as crowded as notre dame and nicer, imho.

There is a big market in Clignecourt but it's quite a rough area. you can get some good bargains though.

the rodin museum is nice as well, and has a pretty garden with his sculptures in.

Place des Vosges is nice to sit out and have a drink in, overpriced though.

branflake81 Tue 08-Jul-08 18:48:54

Also, if you're going to the Louvre, buy your tickets from the basement in the Virgin Megastore on the Champs Elysees rather than the museum itself. That way you can get in without queuing.

Cloudhopper Thu 24-Jul-08 21:48:11

I am going soon too.

I've been a few times before so have done the main tourist sights. This time I want to go shopping in small markets and explore the 'below the surface' intellectual and historic side of Paris.

THere are apparently a few really cool markets - Rue mouffetard which i have heard is a bit touristy, Place d'Aligre.

I too would love a good recommendation of a restaurant.

LadySweet Sat 02-Aug-08 15:49:46

I can recommend Le Coupe Chou, great restaurant in the Latin Quarter. Webbie is www.lecoupechou.com

I booked before I went and would suggest the same as we were lucky to get a table even with a couple of weeks notice. Food is fab/good wine list, staff are lovely.

tribpot Sat 02-Aug-08 16:04:28

I always recommend a trip to the Tour de Montparnasse. Fab views over Paris including the Eiffel Tower! (Which obviously you can't see if you're standing on it) (Well, you can but you know what I mean).

Have a lovely time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now