Talk

Advanced search

DH and I have 2 nights away, without children, in July, want HUGE bed, fantastic service, good location, where should we stay?

(53 Posts)
WideWebWitch Tue 17-Jun-08 19:12:28

We have booked The Hoxton but although it looks lovely I'm at that stage of knackeredness where I am regularly fantasising about an enormous super king size bed, Egyptian cotton, 24 hour room service, utter peace, going to bed in the middle of the afternoon, visiting art galleries, going to the cinema and seeing 2 films in a row with dinner in between, etcetera - you get the picture.

The rooms at The Hoxton look too small and the beds are Queen sized, not king so I may donate it to my sister (cheap deal, paid for) but where can Dh and I go instead? We only seem to do this once a year so I can't bear to stay somewhere where the room is small, I want to loll about.

London would be fine, so would anywhere within 2 ish hours of there. Not completely in the middle of nowhere though due to need for aforementioned cinemas etc.

Don't mind paying a bit, prefer 5 star and would like to go somewhere where the service is fantastic. We liked One Aldwych but would quite like to try somewhere new.

TIA for any and all suggestions.

LucyJones Tue 17-Jun-08 19:13:15

The Dorchester?!!

WilfSell Tue 17-Jun-08 19:14:28

If not in London, try Lowry hotel Manchester or the other Rocco Forte hotel in Cardiff (name escapes me) or Hotel du Vin, Birmingham

WilfSell Tue 17-Jun-08 19:15:00

oh and envy

CountessDracula Tue 17-Jun-08 19:15:47

Hotel du Vin in Winchester?
It is really beautiful (was the original one so has nice antiques etc)

Short stagger from the cinema too!

WideWebWitch Tue 17-Jun-08 19:17:05

Is there enough to do in Winchester?

Not sure about Manchester, too far, ditto Cardiff, prob 3 hours from here.

LittleMissNorty Tue 17-Jun-08 19:17:08

Conrad in Brussels was fab....huge bed with individual feather duvets.....bliss

On Eurostar, is 2 hours from London smile

WideWebWitch Tue 17-Jun-08 19:17:52

Sorry to be fussy, I am about these things! As bad as CD deciding where to go for the weekend (where did you go in the end?)

What's The Dorchester like?

CountessDracula Tue 17-Jun-08 19:18:18

depends waht you want to do
There are some museums (I think the Round Table is there for eg)
and a cinema
and a billion pubs
and the cathedral to look round
and lots of shops
err
that's it

namechangecosfeelingsad Tue 17-Jun-08 19:18:25

Try this. Recommended to me when DH & I had a similar weekend of bliss ahead. We couldn't afford it but it looked so fab I viwed I'd save up for next year.

WideWebWitch Tue 17-Jun-08 19:18:40

Sorry, but blush blush both our passports are out of date, it's on the to do list to get new ones. Otherwise Eurostar woudl have been v good idea.

CountessDracula Tue 17-Jun-08 19:19:15

err
when?

namechangecosfeelingsad Tue 17-Jun-08 19:19:51

Sorry, link not working for some reason. Try googling 'Crazy Bear London'. Sounds bizarre but looks amazing!

CountessDracula Tue 17-Jun-08 19:20:01

things to do in winch

WideWebWitch Tue 17-Jun-08 19:20:39

Think my sister went to The Crazy Bear a while back so could ask her what it's like.

WideWebWitch Tue 17-Jun-08 19:21:31

July, a Sat and Sun night but could possibly change to Fri and Sat (but wouldn't get as long as working on Fri and have both booked Monday off as it stands)

unknownrebelbang Tue 17-Jun-08 19:21:37

Hope you get something sorted, but envy as it looks like our weekend away is no more.

Sure you'll find somewhere fantastic.

GeoffWode Tue 17-Jun-08 19:24:08

No chance you could fly up to the Witchery in Edinburgh? We spent our wedding night there and it was bluddy amazing. Edinburgh ticks all the boxes for entertainment too.

namechangecosfeelingsad Tue 17-Jun-08 19:24:50

Grrr, looks like there are no bedrooms in the London one...not much of a hotel, sorry! grin. Try the Oxford one instead here if you can be bothered to follow my recommendations now that I've been so dopey with first two!

CountessDracula Tue 17-Jun-08 19:25:21

kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkmkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkelly

WideWebWitch Tue 17-Jun-08 19:25:38

Edinburgh too far but thanks

Anyone stayed at Tuddeham Mill? it looks lovely but want to know about service/what there is to do etc

CountessDracula Tue 17-Jun-08 19:26:20

sorry
that was dd typing her nanny's name rather oddly

WideWebWitch Tue 17-Jun-08 19:26:28

What are you on about CD?

thanks namechanged, will look at that, although not sure rooms are big enough

WideWebWitch Tue 17-Jun-08 19:26:44

Ohhhhhhhhhh!

WideWebWitch Tue 17-Jun-08 19:27:07

sorry to hear that unknown

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now