Talk

Advanced search

London Hotels - one night only for LUXURY!

(21 Posts)
Posey Thu 29-May-08 18:58:58

Before living in London, my visits here entailed a stay with my Godparents or in a youth hostel. I have now lived here for 21 years so have not needed a hotel.
However I harbour a dream to spend a night in complete luxury, in a London hotel, for my 40th. Any personal recommendations?
I would like a pool, fluffy towels and robes, just luxury, and as it would be 1 night only and dh will be paying it can be on a par with the cost of a weekend in Paris grin

Earlybird Thu 29-May-08 19:16:20

Hi Posey!

Sounds a lovely way to spend a special birthday (and hope you have a very happy one, btw).

Here are a few ideas:

www.the-berkeley.co.uk/home/home.asp

www.travel.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/travel/where_to_stay/london

Louise2004 Thu 29-May-08 19:30:47

www.expedia.co.uk and www.lastminute.co.uk both have good offers occasionally at some very lovely hotels. Also try the Small Luxury Hotels of the World website: www.slh.com.

Whichever hotel you choose, I hope you have a lovely birthday!

Louise2004 Thu 29-May-08 19:32:12

Sorry, I forgot to add the link brackets:

www.expedia.co.uk
www.lastminute.co.uk
www.slh.com

SirJimmySeville Thu 29-May-08 19:36:34

Don't know if they have pools, but my spoil-yourself-silly choices would be the Sanderson or St Martin's Lane Hotel or Charlotte Street Hotel (which has a private mini-cinema!)

Posey Thu 29-May-08 21:16:31

Ooh thanks for those suggestions, have just had a quick look and gone weak at the knees!
My birthday isn't for a few months but dh has been asking me. For his last year we went to Paris so he thought we could do similar, but I really fancy the local option!
Will keep him looking at this threadsmile

PS Earlybird did you get my email?

newgirl Fri 06-Jun-08 21:47:16

have a look on the mr and mrs smith website - there are some fab places on there. I would recommend the Bingham on the river at Richmond for glamour and great views. Also the Hempel for ultra stylish and not at all the place to take kids!

newgirl Fri 06-Jun-08 21:47:26

have a look on the mr and mrs smith website - there are some fab places on there. I would recommend the Bingham on the river at Richmond for glamour and great views. Also the Hempel for ultra stylish and not at all the place to take kids!

Lola234 Tue 15-Jul-08 11:23:01

the savoy in london is pure luxe!!

WideWebWitch Tue 15-Jul-08 19:04:03

Hello, I would recommend One Aldwych, absolutely. See this thread here

We stayed at Threadneedles last weekend which I also liked very much but it's not as luxurious as One Aldwych plus you might prefer to be in Covent Garden rather than The City. Despite the location it was v quiet due to triple glazing. The pool at one Aldwych has music in it I think. The service was superb when we were there (even when we went for a drink in the bar this weekend, we were IGNORED in The Waldorf bar and the service was slow and shoddy in both the Blue Bar at the Berkely and the Park Lane hotel but at One Aldwych we were served efficiently and fast. And they#'re friendly. Top notch imo).

WideWebWitch Tue 15-Jul-08 19:06:31

Sophable was impressed by the Charlotte St hotel recently too I tihnk.

WideWebWitch Tue 15-Jul-08 19:06:59

One Aldwych

WideWebWitch Tue 15-Jul-08 19:07:29

pool looks cool

luckywinner Tue 15-Jul-08 19:14:30

I would seriously recommend the halkin. it is not too big so has really nice feel to it but i just love it. had my wedding night there. And the restaurant nahm is the most amazing food i have had, and really good service too halkin
am v envy

Kif Tue 15-Jul-08 19:15:46

I'd always recommend going for 2 nights.

Otherwise the first day is 'arrival' and the next day is 'departure - keep an eye on the time for checkout'. It's that middle day that is the wonderful 'all day in fluffy bathrobe lounging'.

WideWebWitch Tue 15-Jul-08 19:16:21

TOTALLY agree with Kif. One night is not enough.
We just had three and even that wasn't enough tbh!

bluesky Fri 18-Jul-08 21:29:54

had a great night for my birthday/our anniversary at Charlotte Street Hotel in May. we got an upgrade too, which was even better! Great service. Lovely bed. Would def stay there again.

SpangleMaker Sat 19-Jul-08 18:53:50

No.11

DH & I stayed a couple of times a year or two ago, and it really was 'how the other half live'. Style was 'old English' with maids in traditional, black & white uniforms, a suited concierge, pre-dinner sherry served in the lounge and Molton Brown toiletries. Checking in was signing a leather-bound book under a grandfather clock in the entrance hall, and checking out in a private room at a mahogany desk - we felt we'd stepped into an episode of Jeeves & Wooster!

Looking at the website just now, they've obviously had a total facelift - the place looks gorgeous and much more modern though I have to say it's also seems a little sad to lose a piece of tradition.

mashedbanana Sun 20-Jul-08 21:22:36

st martins lane hotel is great.i've stayed there a few times as my husband stays there when on business.very popular with celebrities.good location aswell.

bluesky Mon 21-Jul-08 07:51:36

look at Firmdale group of hotels, charlotte st is one of them and the new Haymarket which is meant to be great

bluesky Mon 21-Jul-08 07:52:18

meant to say haymarket has a a pool

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now