Talk

Advanced search

really nice hotel/romantic break in and around london

(25 Posts)
LadyVictoriaOfCake Fri 24-Aug-07 21:30:46

for peter and myself around xmas time I guess grin

littlemissbossy Fri 24-Aug-07 21:57:04

Sopwell House, St Albans is really nice, I've stayed there but do you want to go more into London?

ambercat Fri 24-Aug-07 21:58:37

I got married at Sopwell House, it really is gorgeous.

LadyVictoriaOfCake Fri 24-Aug-07 21:58:37

well i am already in herts. and peter used to work there so he said no. also no to hanbury manor.

littlemissbossy Fri 24-Aug-07 22:11:09

Can recommend the Landmark in London. You can get offers on their website but make sure the offer includes breakfast because if you pay for breakfast it is a fortune! Really lovely hotel, very impressive and nice rooms. I'll do a link for you... hang on

littlemissbossy Fri 24-Aug-07 22:12:57

"this is where you have breakfast in the landmark"

Christie Fri 24-Aug-07 22:18:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

handlemecarefully Fri 24-Aug-07 22:31:26

What's the budget - because if you can stretch to it the Lanesborough is a truly classy hotel...and as with all exceptionally good hotels, makes every guest feel special and important (without being sickeningly ingratiating and servile)

I've stayed in a few decent places in my time but the Lanesborough ranks as my favourite

handlemecarefully Fri 24-Aug-07 22:33:00

www.starwoodhotels.com/stregis/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=1435&EM=DNA_Google_lanesborou gh_hotel_NWE

LadyVictoriaOfCake Fri 24-Aug-07 22:54:13

looks great HMC but cant quite stretch that far. would prefer two nights rather than one, and would only be able to afford one night there.

fortyplus Fri 24-Aug-07 22:56:29

What about the Bedford Arms at Chenies? I'll try to find a link

fortyplus Fri 24-Aug-07 22:58:46

[http://www.bedfordarms.co.uk/] Restaurant used to be great - haven't been there for ages, though. The rooms look a bit flowery and frilly, though!

fortyplus Fri 24-Aug-07 22:59:19

OOPS... [[http://www.bedfordarms.co.uk/] ]

fortyplus Fri 24-Aug-07 22:59:57

Oh for God's sake! I blame the wine! www.bedfordarms.co.uk/

LadyVictoriaOfCake Fri 24-Aug-07 23:04:54

looks nice, have added that one and west lodge to favourites

lisad123 Fri 24-Aug-07 23:06:06

What about Henlow grange spa? Not sure of budget.

LadyVictoriaOfCake Fri 24-Aug-07 23:12:31

not really sure spa weekend would be used to full potential grin

blush

fortyplus Fri 24-Aug-07 23:15:02

So what 'activities' do you have in mind? wink

Will you want facilities other than the bedroom? grin

LadyVictoriaOfCake Fri 24-Aug-07 23:16:05

not really!

bed, room service, en suite, thats about it i guess lol.
peter will insist on good food grin

fortyplus Fri 24-Aug-07 23:24:31

You could probably suss out the Bedford Arms on the way to Harefield if you went the 'back way' via Croxley Green. The restaurant did used to be very good but I haven't been there for ages so it wuld be worth checking out to make sure it still is.

How fantastic that you can think about things like this now! smile

alibubbles Sat 25-Aug-07 17:13:52

I spent my wedding night at the Bedford Arms, 25 yewars ago!

handlemecarefully Sat 25-Aug-07 18:18:17

I really think you deserve the Lanesborough - hope this is not crass but would you object vociferously if we had a mumsnet whip around

[hoping she has caused no offence emoticon]

WideWebWitch Sun 26-Aug-07 09:05:29

LVOC, what about the sister hotel to The Grove? Not too far for you and has a v good reputation. Or you could go into London and get a room or suite for £117 on laterooms at somewhere like the Great Eastern. The City is peaceful at the weekend, you could wander to the Tate modern, it would be v romantic.

Squiffy Tue 28-Aug-07 12:46:23

I got married here and this is always the place where DH and I go for any special ocassion. It is just over an hour from London either by train from Victoria Station (65 mins), or by car down the M2. It is michellin-starred, and Dinner, B&B is £130pp, which is a lot but it is worth every penny... It came top in one of the broadsheet's 'restaurants/hotels of the year' thing a couple of years back...there are lots of links to reviews on the website, and all the broadsheets have reviewed/loved it. Even though all the waiters are french it isn't stuffy at all - everyone is very friendly/approachable/cheerful. Quite close to Whitstable/Canterbury..

newgirl Wed 05-Sep-07 19:13:03

we liked the hotel du vin in henley - right by the river for strolling before dinner - nice bar - food a bit ambitious but there are places in henley too to try - breakfast was fantastic - rooms so lovely i wish id taken photos so i could copy it!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now