Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I know it's been done to death but - London hotel

(16 Posts)
Gobbledigook Tue 21-Aug-07 21:59:17

I know there are threads on this but I can't find the one I was looking for and I'm not sure where everything is in relation to where I need to be!

Going to London Apollo Victoria and need a hotel for Sat night.

WWW recommended THe Great Eastern on another thread - anyone know if this is in good location for theatre?

Also on another thread, PPH recommended one - something plaza - but can't find thread - anyone know which it might be?

binkleandflip Tue 21-Aug-07 22:00:28

How much do you want to spend?

Sherlock Holmes hotel on Baker Street is lovely

Bouquetsofdynomite Tue 21-Aug-07 22:01:46

If you want cheap, you can have a private double room at the Picadilly Backpackers for less than £65, sans petit dejeuner. Looks a lot nicer than most hotels under £100 in zone 1.
If you're taking the kids, the Royal National in Bloomsbury does quad rooms quite reasonably.

Gobbledigook Tue 21-Aug-07 22:03:16

Just me and dh.
Budget would be £200 but under that would be fabbo! Tbh, we are going to theatre in eve and just staying over that night so we won't get huge amounts of use out of it. So, am thinking perhaps not going for ultra-flash (not that you would on £200).

MintyDixCharrington Wed 22-Aug-07 13:38:28

go onto lastminute.com
get prices of the secret deals (where they anonymise the hotel so you don't know exactly which one it is only where it is - but consequently the prices are tiny)
choose only 5 star
when they show you one you like the look of, open another window and do a google search on a phrase in the description of the hotel
this will bring you to the "un-anonymised" review on lastminute.com so you can see what you are booking
book it up

I stayed in the Athenaeum on Piccadilly for £100 last week! Jolly nice it was too.

WideWebWitch Wed 22-Aug-07 20:01:59

Hello! PPh recommended a hotel in Victoria, hang on will find it in a min. GE is in the City so not v near where you want to be. You could look on Laterooms too, great cheap deals there.

WideWebWitch Wed 22-Aug-07 20:03:34

old thread where pph recommends

Earlybird Wed 22-Aug-07 20:04:27

PPH suggestion was Victoria Park Plaza. Very close to theatre. Not sure if it's less than £200 per night though.

WideWebWitch Wed 22-Aug-07 20:08:26

Laterooms and put in the postcode. I've stayed at The Kingsway Hall, ok but not fab, wouldn't bother again but right in middle of Covent Garden. OR, you could go for a travelodge, the one on Drury Lane is fab location.

WideWebWitch Wed 22-Aug-07 20:09:12

You'll get a travelodge cheaply if you book in advance. Clean, basic, good if you're not going to be spending much time there.

Earlybird Wed 22-Aug-07 20:09:27

I've never been in the rooms, but this one is in the Victoria area and has a good reputation. Not as swish, but maybe more affordable.

www.windermere-hotel.co.uk

spudmasher Wed 22-Aug-07 20:16:05

< Hello Earlybird!!! Not seen you on here for a while! Hope you and DD are well.>

Earlybird Wed 22-Aug-07 20:27:05

<Hello spudmasher! Yes, all is well. We're in America at the moment and it's 100 today (forecast 103 on Friday). I'm about to collect dd, and we're going swimming...it's the only thing to do in this heat. Hope you and your family are fine>

spudmasher Wed 22-Aug-07 20:27:54

<Rain in London!!! All are well >

Gobbledigook Wed 22-Aug-07 23:29:32

Oh thanks everyone - will have a look at those.

Thanks WWW - yes, realised last night that Great Eastern wasn't in a great location for the theatre. Shame really as there is a good deal - a £411 room for £117 for the date I wanted!

Bewilderbeast Wed 22-Aug-07 23:52:35

whatever you do do not stay in the strand palace

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now