Talk

Advanced search

Good food, lots of walking, somewhere in the UK?

(8 Posts)
NotQuiteCockney Wed 01-Aug-07 07:49:22

I want to go away for a weekend on my own, in September. I think I'd like to stay in the UK, and have a countryside break.

I don't drive. I'm happy to train and bike or use a taxi, even.

And I'm a bit fussy about food, and nervous about provincial English food.

Any recommendations?

lemonaid Wed 01-Aug-07 07:53:05

The Priory Inn in Tetbury has fantastic food.

Furball Wed 01-Aug-07 07:54:37

The pudding club is a great place to stay. Scrummy. They encourage walking and there is a section on their website. I went last christmas for a meal and had 7 puddings!! (they were only a mouthful of each though, but you could of had more)

NotQuiteCockney Wed 01-Aug-07 08:01:58

Hmmm, the pudding club sounds a bit scary - I'm not really eating sweets these days. (I bet the recommendation will tempt other MNers, though!)

Will look into the Priory Inn. I've found some in the Malvern Hills while googling, which might do, too ...

Any more?

ProfYaffle Wed 01-Aug-07 08:04:37

[[ http://www.lancrigg.co.uk/ The Lancrigg]] in Grasmere is really nice, I've recommended it about 3 times on MN now, I'm not on commission - honest.

ProfYaffle Wed 01-Aug-07 08:05:39

Oops, not sure what went wrong 2nd time lucky

janeitebus Wed 01-Aug-07 19:19:26

The Malverns are lovely - don't really know about foodie places there but the veggie cafe in the hills (Saint Anne's Well I think) is nice for lunch.

NotQuiteCockney Wed 01-Aug-07 19:23:38

Ok, lots of tempting options here. I think some are tempting enough that I won't end up going off to a european city (which is the other thing I was considering - go to Amsterdam or something for a weekend, instead). But I'd rather train and not fly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now