(10 Posts)
catnip Mon 09-Jul-07 13:31:24

Would you go for:
One Aldwych
Malmaison
Zetters
Threadneedle
Great Eastern

It's in a fortnight, so we're seeing what's around on laterooms etc. We're veering towards One Aldwych but it's still v expensive.

Any thoughts?
Thanks

youpeskykids Mon 09-Jul-07 21:25:01

malmaison are lovely

Waswondering Mon 09-Jul-07 21:31:25

We really really liked Montague on the Gardens in Bloomsbury, booked through hotel direct. It got a really good write up on trip advisor too!

here

WideWebWitch Tue 10-Jul-07 18:23:30

I'd go for One Aldwych.

I've stayed there and the Great Eastern and One Aldwych was hands down a beter hotel. What I thought of One Aldwych here

Great Eastern was good and we got a room for £117 adn were upgraded to a suite as it was our anniversary but the service wasn't great tbh, whereas it was at One Aldwych. OTOH if you like being in the City at the weekend when it's lovely and quiet and you like Borough Market and the South bank and all that then GEastern location is better.

Someone on here said they weren't that impressed with The Zetter, so I wouldn#t go there, will see if I can find thread in a minute. Malmaison in Clerkenwell is nice according to my sister, but I haven't been. It's on a quiet square and she said she liked that. Their service was good to me (I gave it to her as a Christmas present, she needed a good nights sleep). She's also stayed at Threadneedles and liked it, ditto above about The City.

So depends: if you want fab service, One Aldwych
If you want The City, GE or Threadneedles.

recent London hotel thread here

WideWebWitch Tue 10-Jul-07 18:26:37

Here's what someone thought of the Zetter

" By Gingermonkey on Sun 08-Apr-07 12:58:24
Wicked, I was planning on going to the Zetter and staying in the penthouse with DH because my brother lives in east london and it made more sense than staying in Knightsbridge and paying the £30 plus in a cab to get to and from his, but after having a look around I changed my mind. The service was terrible too, I agree - but the bar had a kind of trendy feel (but full of Hoxton and Shoreditch types - a bit too 'fashion' maybe for most tastes!). K-West was suggested to me by BIL, the NME awards afterparty was there last year and quite a few young bands use it but it was totally rubbish (but really quite cheap). The spa was tiny (and wet when I went too) and the hotel was full of people who thought they were cool, but were so uncool it was scarey!!!! And hen weekends, there were a lot of hens there (which puts me off anywhere! ) I have to admit, I am a bit of snob when it comes to hotels . I second Charlotte Street - PIL have stayed there and they usually do the Knightsbridge (and they are really, really fussy and hard to please and loved it). "

DaddyJ Tue 10-Jul-07 18:29:03

Does it have to be in Town
or would you consider, say, Richmond?

There is a gorgeous hotel on Richmond Hill
that might fit the bill.

catnip Tue 10-Jul-07 18:39:25

oh great thanks - DaddyJ it needs to be in town really as closer to our wedding party venue. I do love Richmond tho.

Whooosh Tue 10-Jul-07 18:42:52

From your choice-would go with One Aldwych....great place.

WideWebWitch Tue 10-Jul-07 20:19:37

Have One aldwych got rooms for the we you want? They do get booked and I've never seen their rooms on laterooms so you might find your choice is dictated by availability. In which case I'd go for GE or Threadneedles, I think the GE reviews on tripadvisor tend to be better than Threadsneedles iirc

catnip Wed 11-Jul-07 00:32:33

Yes, available on their own special weekend rates and booked - can't wait. Thanks all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now