Talk

Advanced search

Solo travel

(3 Posts)
Howlongtilldinner Thu 25-Jan-18 23:01:32

A question for the ladies..

Has anyone travelled alone for a weekend break in Europe? If so, where was it and how did you find it?

Panda81 Mon 12-Feb-18 23:35:19

I've travelled solo in Europe but for bit longer than a weekend, maybe 4 or 5 nights.

First time was to Rome - combined with a 2 night busabout trip to Sorrento visiting Pompeii and Capri. Amazing holiday.

Valencia - I picked wrong location and also got flu so not the best trip

Salzburg - very beautiful city and felt very very safe.

Verona & Venice - both very beautiful cities again, and very safe.

First two trips I stayed in hostels thinking I would meet people and have some company. Which I did (a few of us went for a meal in Rome) but Valencia really didn't work as I liked getting out during the day, but I was sharing with gap year students who went out at midnight then slept late in the day so it was a clash really, when trying to sleep. After Valencia I decided to stay in hotels and that works much better.

It's a bit nerve wracking at first but on the whole it's fine. I love being able to go with my own flow and not have to compromise on places to visit. Sitting in cafes and restaurants alone feels odd at first but now it's second nature to me. Take a book!

I always did lots of research on hotel location etc to make sure i wasn't staying in dodgy areas. Avoided being alone late at night.. same precautions as here in UK really.

Now I have a mini me and planning our first trip just the two of us but I'm bailing on the adventure and going all inclusive grin

heron98 Wed 14-Feb-18 16:12:04

Yes, I have been to Paris solo. Actually ended up staying for 2 months! (I had no job at the time).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now