Talk

Advanced search

Solo weekend away post break up

(5 Posts)
user1471548941 Wed 22-Nov-17 15:05:22

So I’ve just split up with my boyfriend and moved back to my parents. We had a once in a lifetime holiday to the IceHotel in Sweden booked but it’s not really something to do on my own. So, I’m going to get a refund and spend the money on something else. 13th - 18th December, budget flexible, like the idea of something Christmassy or wintery.

I don’t want to go somewhere I’ve already been so this rules out Prague, Budapest, Salzburg, Berlin, Croatia, Barcelona, Paris, Istanbul, Norwegian Fjords and New York.

Some options I have come up with:

1. Eurostar to Bruges and Brussels
2. Vienna- like the idea but worried it will be “just another city”, though I did love Salzburg.
3. Lisbon- but how Christmassy will this be?
4. Northern Lights- was considering Iceland but think I would rather drive the ring road in summer. Is there anywhere else I can see them?
5. 5 day Hurtigruten cruise in Norway but will this be no good with all day darkness?
6. Talinn onto Helsinki

Any thoughts or other ideas anyone has? I’m a confident solo traveller and open minded, just most of my ideas don’t fit my 5 day time slot!!!

hevonbu Thu 30-Nov-17 04:32:37

Here's a link to some Northern Light spotting, arranged by a tourist organisation (or association rather, it's cheaper if one is a member). www.swedishtouristassociation.com/activities/abisko-northern-lights-hike/

I suppose you could come to my hometown Stockholm (it's not on your list) and easily spend a few days, even though from my viewpoint it sounds much more fun to spend the equivalent amount of time in London if you ask me.

If you want winter and Christmassy you could always consider visiting Vålådalen through the tourist association, it's usually a friendly place but it doesn't seem to start until December 22 unfortunately. (Maybe you could bring your parents with you for the adventure?) See here (translate yourself through pasting the link into the Google translate web page, the translation turned out ok, I've checked it): www.svenskaturistforeningen.se/paket/jul-och-nyarsweekend-i-valadalen-3/

OutComeTheWolves Thu 30-Nov-17 08:39:58

Lisbon - it's a fab city anyway but really beautiful at Christmas. They have a giant Christmas tree which I think is one of the biggest in Europe and I may be wrong but I think they have a Christmas market too.

I am biased because it's one of my favourite cities in the world, but the first time I went was a long weekend in mid December and I fell in love with it!

PhilODox Thu 30-Nov-17 08:44:00

Vienna is gorgeous, so much to see/do
Hurtigruten is my No. 1 choice though, but we can never get flights/availability when we want.
Sorry about your breakup, and hope life is good for you in 2018 flowers

ChiaraRimini Mon 01-Jan-18 22:14:43

I went on a breakup city break to Reykjavik by myself last March, and saw the Northern Lights. Loved it. Total convert to travelling alone.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: