Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Venice - is it stupid to go the first weekend in January?

(8 Posts)
franke Sun 29-Oct-17 13:59:27

I really need to know from someone in the know if Venice will be closed on Saturday 6th (public holiday in Italy) and Sunday 7th. I'm thinking more about restaurants, cafes and food shops rather than cultural attractions. Does anyone know?

franke Sun 29-Oct-17 20:50:05

Just one bump.

HarrietKettleWasHere Sun 29-Oct-17 20:53:35

No! I did!

I stayed out on the lido, (for about £20 a night in a hotel with breakfast include) but all the boats were running, I visited Burrano and Murrano, I drank prosecco, ate gelato...did all the regular Venice things. Barely any tourists!

It was chilly, especially out on the water.

HarrietKettleWasHere Sun 29-Oct-17 20:56:10

although- I feel I should add- a lot of Venice will be closed on any Sunday really... I think k on Sundays I used to pop into Mestre in the mainland and the bars and restaurants are more likely to be open there.

Crikeyblimey Sun 29-Oct-17 20:57:12

We went last year between Christmas and new year for my 'ahem - big' birthday. It was glorious!! Fantastic weather, the light was magical. Not too busy either. We stayed right on the grand canal. Adored it.

Crikeyblimey Sun 29-Oct-17 20:59:38

Oops - in my haste to reply o missed the bit about it being closed. Some places were closed but not enough to be bothersome.

PourMeABrose Sun 29-Oct-17 21:08:38

I went for a "significant" birthday last year on the first weekend in Jan smile we were there Friday 6th - Sunday 8th. I've never been before, so can't say if it was lacking anything, but we didn't encounter anything closed when we wanted to go. It was AMAZING btw!! Actually, we were told it was lacking in tourists. It was busy, but not heaving as it would be in the summer. I just wish I'd realised a bit quicker how CHEAP prosecco is! Beer - €6 upwards. Prosecco - €2 upwards. We spent a day walking bar to bar to bar eating small plates and drinking smile it were chilly, so pack yer thermals! If you're worried, no chance you can go the next weekend?

franke Mon 30-Oct-17 01:34:04

Thanks so much! This is all very reassuring. I've booked it now that I know we won't starve - can't think of anything worse than being in italy and not being able to eat grin. And I note your tip re prosecco PourMeABrose - this is the info you won't read in any travel guide but is the info we need.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now