Talk

Advanced search

New Year - where to go??

(13 Posts)
MrsAJ27 Sat 28-Oct-17 13:20:39

Hi, I have just found out that most of my family are not going to be around for Christmas and New Year.

I am recently single and my friends are all married or have children.

I am fine about Christmas but really do not want to spend New Years Eve at home. So was thinking of taking a mini break somewhere any ideas?

Caulk Sat 28-Oct-17 13:23:27

A group of us book a youth hostel type place in the lakes and all go away. We have a mix of singles, couples and families as everyone invites their friends. Could you ask around and do something with others where everyone goes together?

Previously done Airbnb but found it to be much more expensive than we wanted really.

Caulk Sat 28-Oct-17 13:24:17

Sorry, posted too soon. If you want abroad then go to Strasbourg. Easy to get to via Eurostar and great at new year

Ricekrispie22 Sat 28-Oct-17 13:24:44

Aboard or UK? And where abouts are you?

MrsAJ27 Sat 28-Oct-17 15:55:51

Thanks Caulk I will look in to that

MrsAJ27 Sat 28-Oct-17 15:57:01

Rice I live in South East and I dont mind uk or abroad

HundredMilesAnHour Sat 28-Oct-17 16:03:40

I have the same problem most years (friends are busy with their families etc). So this year I'm going to Suffolk to stay in a lovely AirBNB. Peace and quiet, lots of fresh country air, beach walks, woodlands, bliss! (and excellent local food and drink).

But it depends what you like.....city or country etc etc.

My favourite New Year alone was riding a motorbike through Ho Chi Minh.

So many options! What's your budget, how many days and what are you looking to do (or not do!)?

2014newme Sun 29-Oct-17 09:29:42

I've done a few city breaks at new year, Palma was the best. Copenhagen also good

Ricekrispie22 Sun 29-Oct-17 11:48:07

Dublin is officially one of the top five friendliest cities in the world!
Last year Dublin’s New Year’s Festival started on December 30 with a poetry slam, live performances and the spectacular Luminosity light show with aerial and aquatic performers (running for all three nights). It appears that it's starting on 31st this year. On NYE there's the light procession and famous 3Countdown Concert. On New Years Day itself there are more events at the castle, most of which have a sporty theme. Also several pop up events around the rest of the city.

Dublin Castle will be transformed into the NYF Food Village for these three days so with artisan food and lots of free entertainment. The Dublin Discovery Trail is also a fantastic option if it is your first visit to Dublin it allows you to explore the best of the city in two days.

The towns and villages of Dublin Bay are just a short distance away by DART train, so you can mix city break with a breathtakingly beautiful beach walk in Howth, a reviving hike up Killiney Hill, and cosying up for a fireside pint in a traditional pub in Dun Laoghaire.

www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/ireland/dublin/articles/How-to-spend-New-Year-in-Dublin/

MrsAJ27 Mon 30-Oct-17 18:13:33

Thank you for the suggestions. I will look in to them

DianaT1969 Mon 30-Oct-17 18:18:03

A spa hotel in the Algarve? Good sightseeing and treat yourself to massage/room service.

MrsAJ27 Mon 30-Oct-17 18:19:35

That sounds great hundredmilesanhour

itsmehello Tue 31-Oct-17 13:12:04

Berlin. Plenty of things to see and hotels are still reasonable priced. And you treat yourself to a spa hotel there too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: