Talk

Advanced search

Italian city break recommendations

(33 Posts)
Blastandtroph Tue 22-Aug-17 09:58:13

DH and I will be celebrating a big wedding anniversary next year and are keen to get away for a few nights.

Loved city breaks pre DC, particularly Paris, Barcelona and Prague. Keen to go to Italy as never been.

Where would others recommend for 3 nights away? We enjoy history and eating out.

Any hotel recommendations too would be helpful - as it's a special occasion keen for somewhere fairly luxurious but non-pretentious and relaxed.

Thank you.

mumma24 Tue 22-Aug-17 10:24:32

Florence

DeepInFrance Tue 22-Aug-17 14:57:14

Padua. Beautiful town, good restaurants, great art, nice vibe, and super easy to get to Venice by train.

Blastandtroph Tue 22-Aug-17 15:50:01

deep I've not heard of Padua. Will check it out.

itsmehello Tue 22-Aug-17 16:09:02

Florence all the way or if a bit more off the beaten track, Bergamo!

PerspicaciaTick Tue 22-Aug-17 16:11:33

Bologna is gorgeous and Venice is an easy day trip by train.

onemouseplace Tue 22-Aug-17 16:14:40

Florence is amazing, but direct flights to Florence were very expensive when I went last year, so we flew to Pisa and then got the train. Which was a bit of a faff to be honest and cut into our time as it was a weekend break, but did mean we spent the afternoon in Pisa on the way back.

Rome is fabulous as well, I went for my 30th (and we are going back for my 40th this year).

Hillingdon Tue 22-Aug-17 16:15:34

Venice and get a water taxi from the airport to the hotel. You will feel like a film star.

When are you going?

Northern Italy in the summer is fine. Venice has lots of tourists and cruise ships and then at the end of the day its much quieter. I brough a Ventian mask and people always admire it. Put it in the hand luggage though. They are delicate

PerspicaciaTick Tue 22-Aug-17 16:17:45

Water taxi from the airport is the best way of arriving in Venice.

LIZS Tue 22-Aug-17 16:23:09

Rome, Florence and Venice are all unique and romantic. What do you intend to do on your break?

BobbiPins Tue 22-Aug-17 16:26:39

Rome of course!

Florence is also fabulous.

Rome is imperial (with lots of cozy lanes too), plus you can do an Angels and Demons tours after Dan Brown's book smile Florence is compact, you can walk to the countryside from the centre, and the city feels like an open air museum.

Rome is the Roman Empire and the Renaissance, Florence is the Renaissance

Katsite Tue 22-Aug-17 16:27:28

Torino is often overlooked but gorgeous. Depends on time of year and how hot you like it. Naples also wonderful if slightly adventurous.you could go to pompei.

DandelionAndBedrock Tue 22-Aug-17 16:27:31

Bologna!

Fabulous food, good train links and a taxi from the airport to our hotel was just under 20euro each way - much nicer than getting one of those shuttle bus thingies.

If you really want to blow the budget, I believe the former best restaurant in the world is nearby (Osteria Francescana).

PissedOffNeighbour Tue 22-Aug-17 16:28:05

Rome, Venice, Verona or Florence - lucky you!

Katsite Tue 22-Aug-17 16:29:36

Florence and Venice you can hardly see for all the tourists whereas in Rome you can at least see the occasional roman.

Getabloominmoveon Tue 22-Aug-17 16:31:42

For a blowout- fly to Venice and stay at the Cipriani Hotel which is on an island opposite St Mark's Square. It is old-school classy, with the most amazing outdoor salt-water swimming pool. Its private boat ferries you back and forth, and makes you feel very exclusive! As others have said, a water taxi to the airport is super-glam and like being in a James Bond film. So cool!
For lower-key gorgeousness I second Bergamot for beautiful sites in the old city, great restaurants and an overall lovely feel, set against an Alpine backdrop.

To confuse you even more: Rome. Everything and more.

Enjoy planning!

hiimmumma Tue 22-Aug-17 16:35:08

Venice Venice Venice.
It's amazing.
http://www.bloom-venice.com
We stayed here.
Nice hotel, good location.
Lots of stairs but that true everywhere!

kingjofferyworksintescos Tue 22-Aug-17 16:50:31

Rome
Venice
Florence
Sienna
All lovely , all different , have a lovely trip

Squ1ggle Tue 22-Aug-17 16:59:40

My only holiday to Italy was to sorrento which was stunning but not a city break. I've been to Milan and Rome briefly (1 night in each city) for work so didn't get to see much of the city but my impression of Milan was very unfriendly whereas in contrast everyone I met in Rome was so helpful, friendly and proud of their city so I would recommend Rome purely on that basis

Squ1ggle Tue 22-Aug-17 17:00:27

Also, not Italy but if you liked Prague you will love Budapest! One of my favourite places in the world!

TheDogsMother Tue 22-Aug-17 17:08:48

Sorry to hijack ! Hiimmumma I've booked Bloom Venice for a stay next month. Is it really nice ? I really fancied the idea of the roof terrace (and complimentary Prosecco)

OP Florence is gorgeous, so is Bologna though on a more manageable scale

SpuriouserAndSpuriouser Tue 22-Aug-17 17:25:32

What time of year? Venice is lovely but I would avoid it at all costs during the summer.

Personally I would probably go to Bologna, but Florence is gorgeous and obviously very popular, and nearby but also beautiful is Siena. Slightly more off the beaten track, Otranto and Lecce are beautiful in a rustic way, both in Puglia.

Hillingdon Tue 22-Aug-17 17:28:01

Milan is horrible.

TizzyDongue Tue 22-Aug-17 17:30:35

Verona, Florence or Bologna.

Personally I wouldn't recommend Venice - mostly because part of Italy i love is the food and it's awful in Venice. It is amazing to visit though for a day. Piza is similar too (not food wise) it is like Venice in the sense you have read and seen images for so long about the places.

newmumwithquestions Tue 22-Aug-17 17:31:30

Venice Venice Venice.
Stay outside the tourist triangle (st marks square/Rialto bridge)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: