Talk

Advanced search

Copenhagen: how long is long enough?!

(14 Posts)
ouchmyfanjo Sun 20-Aug-17 16:50:29

Thinking of a short break with family there. Is 5 days too much? Thinking also of expense there. I've seen the Copenhagen card but any tips would be welcome.

itsmehello Mon 21-Aug-17 09:26:10

5 days seems too long, I was happy with 3 nights. We hired bikes there and that seemed a great way to get around. Copenhagen is super bike friendly, so no worries about getting knocked over.

ouchmyfanjo Mon 21-Aug-17 23:00:11

Thanks itsme. Seems loads to do with the Copenhagen card and maybe LEGOLAND bit 3 nights would make it a lot cheaper to do!bikes sound good.

MaryPoppinsPenguins Mon 21-Aug-17 23:02:00

We just went (most expensive place ever confused) and three nights was definitely enough. If you get a Copenhagen card you can get into loads of places with it and travel on trains, buses and boats.

hollyisalovelyname Fri 29-Dec-17 20:26:18

Three of us were disappointed with Copenhagen.
I expected more.

Worriedmum42 Mon 01-Jan-18 23:16:03

We loved Copenhagen. Spent 5 days there in August after 5 days in Billund at Legoland. Got train from a Billund to Copenhagen. We found plenty to do and go train / bus to Roskilde Viking village/museum and ships - you can go on a replica ship. We loved Tivoli as well. Hugely expensive but we really enjoyed our time there.

wizzywig Mon 01-Jan-18 23:18:04

Go over to malmo for a day trip? Shit I've booked a whole week there. Hope I won't be bored.

catlover1987 Mon 01-Jan-18 23:22:13

I'm going for 3 days in April so very interested in this thread. What did everyone else do there/plan to do? And what in particular is so expensive? Thanks.

AvonCallingBarksdale Wed 10-Jan-18 18:53:35

We spent 3 days there which was just right. Really liked it. We did:
Tivoli with friends so a whole day nearly
Nyhavn mooching and then a Netto boat trip
Rosenborg castle
Papiroen Street food - great food and people watching
Got the train to Humelbeck to the Louisiana art gallery.
You could also get the train over The Bridge to Malmo

surlycurly Fri 12-Jan-18 21:15:57

I had five days there and we had a ball. If you eat locally too it's nit as expensive as you think. And we did the Malmo trip too so the kids could say they'd been to Sweden too! It was a fab trip.

BikeRunSki Fri 12-Jan-18 21:39:12

We went last Easter, DC were 5 and 8. We went Tue-Fri - 3 nights.

We did, roughly -
1/2 day Tuesday - Potter around city, lunch, Potter, dinner, buy Copenhagen cards.
Full day Wed - National Museum, Tivoli Gardens, we spent hours in Tivoli. Apart from thrbfinfsir, here is a good playground (the pancake house in the whale is not great thigh).
Full day Thursday - Boat trip (to Little Mermaid), Up the towww at Christiansborg palace, design museum, botanical gardens, geological museum (DH and I are both geologists!!)
Most of day Friday - back to national museum, Changing of Guard at the Ameliabourg palace, Lego shop

We could have easily spent more time there, but it is very expensive!

I’d recommend getting a Copenhagen card each -free entry to loads of places. free bus and train travel, boat trips.

We stayed at the Hotel Ansgar, which was well priced and central. Big family room (double plus 3 singles) ,excellent buffet breakfast.

If you have slightly fussy eaters, and a non-meat eater with you, we found a super “artisan” burger restaurant, Friends &Burgers which kept everyone happy. We had a couple of picnic meals too.

Floralnomad Fri 12-Jan-18 21:45:23

A day and a half would have done us , we stayed 3 nights and it was definitely too long . Hotel was fabulous though .

AvonCallingBarksdale Sat 13-Jan-18 11:43:42

Our Danish friends recommended not bothering with the card - we did so much walking and only took public transport up to the Louisiana art gallery.

BikeRunSki Sat 13-Jan-18 13:38:08

I agree. We barely used the card for public transport (train to and from airport, one or 2 buses in town), but we used it for free entry to pretty much everywhere we went and a boat trip. In fact 2 - we squeezed another one in in our last day. I did some rough sums, the cards saved us around £100.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now