Talk

Advanced search

Travelling with Childcwith Additional Needs

(5 Posts)
childrenwithneeds Fri 28-Jul-17 23:03:35

Anyone been to Disneyland Paris?

I am taking my foster son who has medical and behavioural needs and need to highlight a risk assessment for the social worker. Has anyone got any ideas of typical risks that I can highlight as 'potential problems' and that way -- I can shove it in his face-- I can highlight I have it covered.

Examples:
If to fall over - locate medical centre for first aid
If to fall ill - locate medical centre, visit Dr or Hospital
Administering medication - go to medical centre for privacy
Lose medication - return to hotel for spare set of medication

I know it seems daft but they have to clever every aspect as to 'dot the i's and cross the t's).. just want to show I have it covered.

Just want lots of things to show I am fully competent - I wouldn't mind but I've cared for him for 6.5 years..!

Thanks in advance.

jellybeanteaparty Sat 05-Aug-17 15:01:59

Hi Have you arranged with Disney so he can have a disability pass? This includes having access to a quieter parade spot etc.
I would add in (if appropriate to your foster son)
Agitated by crowds - Take to calmer area/take break
Tired/hungry - not behaving well - Take a break in hotel for a few hours, Carry food and drink, ensure enough sleep etc Plan timings carefully (stay up for fireworks one day have later start the next)
Finding cues difficult - use disability pass to avoid cue
Too much walking/standing - borrow a wheelchair from disney
Stressed by other people - move onto something else. Find a favourite area/ride or show and return to it as a destresser.The show in the theatres can be very good for this.

Its a pain having to tick the box's but I am sure you will have lots of fun

Kanga59 Sat 05-Aug-17 15:09:20

He may run off and get lost in the crowd. Get one of those wrist attachment thingys?

Get a green pass from city hall to avoid queueing. Available if he either has a blue badge or a letter from Gp with diagnosis & that he has mental impairment

Kanga59 Sat 05-Aug-17 15:10:35

Also, which hotel are you staying at and how often does he need medication? It can take 30 minutes plus to get back to your girl, depending on where in the park you are.

Kanga59 Sat 05-Aug-17 15:10:58

Hotel, not girl 🤦‍♀️

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now