Talk

Advanced search

Birthday Ireland minibreak

(23 Posts)
thisismadness77 Mon 17-Jul-17 22:21:45

Hi, it's my 40th next month and I'd like to go to Ireland for a 3 night break. I'd like to fly from Luton, so that means Dublin, Kerry or Knock. I've been to Dublin a few times, and that's not what I'm after. Kerry looks nice.... Me and DH, minimal travel, by the sea, views, walks, maybe horse riding, a few bars, maybe live music, and some nice food. I am looking online, but if anyone has any suggestions as to location or even places to stay they would be very welcome. Thank you.

Pallisers Mon 17-Jul-17 22:22:32

Parknasilla in Kenmare?

thisismadness77 Mon 17-Jul-17 22:27:49

I will have a look thanks. I literally don't know where to start or where is nice.

Chiliprepper Mon 17-Jul-17 22:32:43

Fly to knock and go to Westport - loads of great pubs/music and the surrounding area is just beautiful, clew bay, croagh Patrick etc tonnes to see but v. Peaceful (am bias though)

Cloeycat Mon 17-Jul-17 22:33:48

Fly to Kerry, stay in Valentia. The Royal hotel is lovely.

thisismadness77 Mon 17-Jul-17 22:39:12

Thank you!! Would we manage without a car? Don't want to have to chose between being on the coast or by a town but hiring a car seems like more of a faf...

Onynx Mon 17-Jul-17 22:39:26

Glengarrif, Bantry, Castletownbere & Allihies in West Cork. Day trip to Garnish Islandsmile

Cloeycat Mon 17-Jul-17 22:41:08

I would hire a car. Particularly in Kerry. Public transport is rubbish and taxis can be hard to find.

Chiliprepper Mon 17-Jul-17 22:43:31

For anywhere scenic you'll probably need a car unfortunately!

AFingerofFudge Mon 17-Jul-17 22:43:55

Hire a car. I second going to Westport (I'll be there in 2 weeks 😁😁😁) but it's beautiful. Loads of fabulous pubs, beautiful scenery, great places to eat, and not far from Knock airport.

toosexyforyahshirt Mon 17-Jul-17 22:44:48

Dingle!

thisismadness77 Mon 17-Jul-17 22:53:38

Westport is looking like a strong contender... DH looking at hire cars. Flight times are really good. Thinking more quaint b&b than big hotel? . Ooohhhh... just need to enlist family to have DD... how exciting!

laGrosellaEspinosa Mon 17-Jul-17 23:00:44

Yes I'd go to West coast if you've been to Dublin a few times. Maybe Ennis?. It's a thriving busy town full of pubs, nice shops but it feels more Irish than the East coast. Trad musicians sitting in the pub just practising! It was near the cliffs of Moher and that was an easy trip and more enjoyable than I'd thought it'd be. I thought, what some cliffs, how dull, but it was nice.

Radyward Mon 17-Jul-17 23:11:42

Westport is a fab town. But achill island gets my vote. ! Its fabulous with gorgeous beaches and coves. Its getting trendier too with lifestyle shops. Craft cafes etc. Rugged coast and the atlantic drive is fab but you will have your knuckles out its so scary !! You really need a car.
Clifden to westport to newport to achill is amazibg scenery and accessible to knock. Clifden is in galway but doing westport to achill and staying in either would be fantastic. Horse riding on beach in Achill would be class
Dont bother with westport house. Nice but not a patch on similar you have seen in thd UK.
Knock is such a lovely little airport. You are off the plane and on the road in minutes. !!
Have a really fab time !!

thisismadness77 Mon 17-Jul-17 23:15:37

Thank you so much. I feel a bit like I'm sticking a pin in a map to be honest. Westport looks a bit... golfy! I might have a closer look online tomorrow (at work!) but it's really good to get some ideas.

Radyward Mon 17-Jul-17 23:17:13

I completely forgot Cong. Its now a foodie village . Its just so cute and has a few fab pubs. Arguably irelands best hotel is there Ashford Castle where Rory Mcilroy tied the knot. But there is Ashford lodge there tol. Westport is close as well to it iykwim but westport is way bigger . Btw Achill island is joined to the mainland by bridge

AFingerofFudge Mon 17-Jul-17 23:18:00

I know there's golf in Westport but I've never really noticed it!

Radyward Mon 17-Jul-17 23:19:57

Its not really . If you see hotels ring up and ask about offers . I get texts from the castlecourt hotel frequently. Mid week specials but you never know ! That western seaboard off Mayo is fantastic

HughLauriesStubble Mon 17-Jul-17 23:28:10

Come to Clare! Cliffs of Moher, the Burren, Doolin, Lahinch and Fanore all within easy reach. Fantastic beaches and lots to see and do. Doolin is an excellent base with great lively pubs and the hotel there is fab too with great food, along with a gorgeous little seafood restaurant/b+b across the road. It'd be quicker to get there if you fly to Shannon though, Knock is a 2hr drive and Dublin is 3hrs. It's well worth it! grin

thisismadness77 Mon 17-Jul-17 23:31:09

That does look lovely, but with only 2-3 days I don't want to spend more time travelling than I need to. I hate flying anyway and the shorter the transfer the better! We are 30 min from Luton airport, which is so convenient, so it's got to be Knock or Kerry this time. smile

Cloeycat Tue 18-Jul-17 07:39:52

If you do decide Kerry do look at Valentia Island (there's a bridge and a ferry) it's absolutely gorgeous, plenty to do on the island loads of walks, nice cafes, pubs etc. If you are a Star Wars fan- or even if you aren't- you can go out to the Skelligs which are basically a rock in the sea that used to be a monastery. Now it's a bird sanctuary and also where some of the most recent Star Wars movie was filmed. Sounds really dull but they are actually so amazing!

Ashgr0ve Tue 18-Jul-17 10:35:40

Just back from Valentia I would highly recommend It, but then I love Kerry!
Westport is amazing not golfy at all.

thisismadness77 Tue 18-Jul-17 12:10:18

Thank you. smile starting to think it's getting a bit pricy given we haven't planned, saved or budgeted for it! Car hire, new passport, flights etc. Sigh. Might be a night in England for my birthday and make this a bigger longer trip next summer with DD. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now