Talk

Advanced search

Summer House sleeping 4 for respite breaks

(9 Posts)
Livichris Sat 25-Mar-17 09:14:20

I would like to offer my summer house that sleeps 4 for families that can't afford a holiday or have children with life-shortening illnesses. Can anyone tell me the best website or charity to go through to organise this? I have looked hard but can't find a specific place that allows individuals to offer their own properties. Thanks!

Member652554 Sat 15-Apr-17 12:23:49

That's a wonderful idea Op and I am sure there is lots of families who could do with a little break. Ha you considered speaking to a representative of your local hospital's children's charity or a local hospice. Your health visitor might also know of local and national charities who help families in need. Please let us know how you get on. I work for a large NHS trust and also know of local hospice services so I could put you in touch with some one if you so wish .

ADishBestEatenCold Sat 15-Apr-17 12:33:23

What a really kind and practical thing to do!

I think you should definitely do it through a charity or hospice. Am thinking that families may need charitable help for travel or holiday expenses, to enable them to take up your kind offer.

Would you consider older people/without children also? Again I think the first place to look is charitable organisations. Either local to you, or perhaps the Salvation Army, who help families and the elderly, alike.

originalbiglymavis Sat 15-Apr-17 12:38:28

Chicks? chicks.org.uk

DanGleballs Sat 15-Apr-17 12:38:35

Could you maybe think of Winstons Wish who support bereaved children also. A break away for a family adjusting to life without a parent or after the loss of a sibling would be gratefully received I'm sure.

originalbiglymavis Sat 15-Apr-17 12:39:55

And you are lovely, op, for thinking about this.

silkpyjamasallday Sat 15-Apr-17 13:40:35

No advice, just wanted to say that what you are planning to do is really lovely, well done OP! It will make such a difference for the people you will help

Livichris Sat 15-Apr-17 15:16:41

Thanks so much everyone for your suggestions and your kind comments. I will follow up with the charities. 😊

Avebury Sun 16-Apr-17 10:03:07

Such a lovely thing to do - you have no idea how much families going through a tough time will appreciate this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now