Talk

Advanced search

Italy v Iceland

(8 Posts)
ILikeBeansWithKetchup Mon 20-Feb-17 21:18:34

DH wants us to book a short break in early April. We have choice of either Florence (flying to Pisa and staying there) or Iceland.

It's not a matter of cost : Iceland is nearly three times more and we know this.

I just can't decide!

Have never been to either ( I have done Venice and Rome) and am just needing to be swayed/ persuaded/counselled...

Crumbs1 Mon 20-Feb-17 22:10:18

I hint weather in April means Italy might not be at its best. I love Italy but like it best served quite warm.
Iceland was fantastic- much more other worldly than I thought. I always think most European cities have much in common and feel like, well, European cities. Iceland didn't.
We had a much better time than we thought we would. Swimming in outdoor pools when it's a -23 degree blizzard was amazing. Snowmobiles on the glacier was great fun. The geysers were fascinating. Loved the national park whose name is lost to me - incredible waterfalls and mountains. The Blue Lagoon was much nicer and less crowded than we imagined too. Had nicer food but that wasnt why we went. Good fun trying whale meat. Not so sure about the pickled herrings. Hot dog stalls made us giggle like teenagers. Our final evening we drove out to a remote spot and were rewarded (after a long wait) with the Northern lights. Just incredible.
We will definitely go back.

ILikeBeansWithKetchup Mon 20-Feb-17 22:51:05

I am veering towards Iceland, although you sound way more adventurous than me! Thanks for your help smile

Crumbs1 Mon 20-Feb-17 23:03:04

No sadly we were two middle aged quite boring couples.

ILikeBeansWithKetchup Tue 21-Feb-17 07:02:51

Middle aged and on snowmobiles ! grin

Binkybix Sat 01-Jul-17 20:30:11

Iceland was extraordinary!

fedupandnogin Wed 02-Aug-17 20:12:21

I'm really keen to go to Iceland. How did you do it @Crumbs1? Did you organise everything yourself/drive yourself etc? Or do an organised tour?

Nomad86 Sat 14-Oct-17 21:17:12

Iceland is amazing. Snow mobiles on a glacier, blue lagoon, geysers. A long weekend is probably enough though. We stayed at a really smart youth hostel in a private entrance suite room, bit like a travel lodge, which kept the cost down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now