Talk

Advanced search

I'm taking my 18 year old son to Amsterdam for the weekend - any ideas or tips?

(15 Posts)
JudithTaverner Thu 19-Jan-17 12:19:05

I'm taking my 18 year old son to Amsterdam for his birthday present. He loves travel and really enjoys exploring cities. He also loves going to museums and galleries but rarely gets to go as his younger siblings aren't so keen. But this time we're going alone and he'll get to sight see as much as he wants (and as much as I can bear).

Any ideas about where we could go, both in terms of sightseeing and cool bars/restaurants? (I'm not planning a heavy drinking session with him, but thought I could acknowledge his birthday by buying him a pint!).

I've already booked Anne Frank's museum.

We're staying in an air bnb near the big park (I can't remember it's name!).

Thanks!

Twistmeandturnme Thu 19-Jan-17 12:22:21

Don't go into a smoky coffee shop and eat the chocolate brownies.

Twistmeandturnme Thu 19-Jan-17 12:23:11

But seriously., the city is lovely and there are things to do and see on almost every corner. you'll have a great time.

JudithTaverner Thu 19-Jan-17 12:25:57

ha ha, I'm not quite that bad a parent (although on previous visits...)

he's very young for his age and doesn't drink or go near drugs!

user1471517057 Fri 27-Jan-17 10:54:25

I went last year with my sister and neither of us are into the whole drugs thing. Had an amazing time visiting the Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh one also. Anne Frank house is very moving. We also did a river cruise which was enjoyable. Liedesplien and Rembrantsplien were great at night for just relaxing in and soaking up nightlife. The Heineken Experience might be good for you both if you want to enjoy a pint together.

citroenpresse Mon 15-May-17 20:10:17

Go on the free ferries behind the station across to the film museum (EYE) or a longer free ferry (15 mins?) to NDSM (another island) for lunch. If you want a beer in a cafe, head for a terrace on one of the canals or near Spui (e.g. Hoppe). The Engelbewarder on Kloveniersburgwal has very nice lunches and is in the university district. Busy but not just tourists. The Prinsenstraat or Herenstraat also have nice cafes at their junctions. The Resistance Museum (Verzetzmuseum) is really interesting and if you cross the road, there's a lovely place to have coffee looking at the flamingos at the zoo (for free). If you do a boat trip, go for the open boats (which are smaller) rather than the covered ones. It's a beautiful city. Leidseplein and Rembrantplein are really touristy...you don't need to walk far to see more!

chipsandpeas Mon 15-May-17 20:11:42

heineken experience would be a good shout, and you get beer att he end of it

citroenpresse Mon 15-May-17 20:13:27

If he looks young for his age, he needs to carry his ID or passport for beer!

twofalls Mon 15-May-17 21:20:38

The hop on hop off boat tour is great.

QuitMoaning Mon 15-May-17 21:23:24

De Hallen food halls for lunch. Lots of choice and incredible atmosphere. Loved it when we went (group of friends but a bit older)

Mair1234 Thu 18-May-17 09:40:15

The Stedelijk Museum for modern and contemporary art is great

diplodocus Thu 18-May-17 09:45:03

Hire a river bike (i.e. a pedalo) - great fun!

BitOutOfPractice Thu 18-May-17 09:45:18

If he looks young for his age, he needs to carry his ID or passport for beer!

I guess so, though the Dutch are much more relaxed about this.

Don't go on a river cruise. Dull as bloody ditchwater.

Hiring bikes would be fun

citroenpresse Thu 18-May-17 12:46:07

BitOutofPractice I live in Amsterdam and would say that is not actually true...If you are in a supermarket with a teenager and buy beer, they can (and do!) refuse to sell it to you if they think it is destined for someone under age. On the other hand, we've bought shandies in pubs in the UK for 16-year olds with no problem at all! Also, there are many types of canal cruise. The ones in an open boat with only 10 or so people are terrific. It's really special seeing Amsterdam from the water - not dull at all. The pedalo boats are very good fun. Cycling to Ouderkerk aan de Amstel or one of the Waterland villages e.g. Holysloot is fun but tourists on bikes in the centre grrrrrrr.

BitOutOfPractice Thu 18-May-17 14:02:03

I've never had a problem buying drinks anywhere in the Netherlands for my (Dutch) DSS or (English) DD. Maybe I drink in less reputable establishments than you citron wink

Maybe I've done too many of those canal trips with various visitors. They bore me rigid. Too long.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now