Talk

Advanced search

Berlin Kraków or Prague?

(27 Posts)
ZenNudist Wed 07-Sep-16 23:01:51

Planning 3-4 day break with just DH. Want to take in art gallery, other cultural things, eat in good restaurant(s), browse unusual shops, soak up street sights, stop for coffee at pretty independent cafes, maybe a trendy bar in the eve.

I think Berlin is best bet but don't know if it's just too ugly. Seems like it would tick all my boxes. Dh prefer Prague or Budapest. Kraków strikes me as similar.

Any suggestions of which is best?

nmg85 Thu 08-Sep-16 19:07:50

I have only been to Krakow but I really enjoyed it and would say it fits with your requirements. We also went to the salt mines nearby which was amazing.

LokisUnderpants Thu 08-Sep-16 19:09:08

Prague is stunning. I can't recommend it enough. The centre old town is car free so it's really easy to meander through the streets. It's by far the most beautiful city I've been to.

Summerdiamond Thu 08-Sep-16 19:20:43

Agree prague is lovely & some really cool jazz bars situated underground for night time.
Berlin is lovely too & not at all ugly we liked it a lot too, plenty to do & see,
Kraków is on our shortlist for this year 😀
Hope this helps

Julius02 Thu 08-Sep-16 19:26:23

I've been to Prague a few times and it's lovely. However I would recommend Kraków - we absolutely loved it. It's a small city and very easy to walk around. The salt mines nearby are a world heritage site and are amazing. We also visited Auschwitz - I'm not going to say we 'enjoyed' it but I'm very glad I went. An interesting but sobering experience.
I've never been to Berlin but it's on my list.

ohidoliketobe Thu 08-Sep-16 19:37:20

Have never been to Krakow but it's on our to go list and have heard good reports. We've been to Prague once and Berlin 4 times now. Both are fantastic and if you spend a bit of time planning in advance you won't be disappointed with a weekend in either doing what you've described.

Prague is more compact and you could see the main sights and still have quite a relaxing time on 2/3 day break. We did 5 days there and felt we saw everything in that time. Did enjoy it and recommend it, but we've done it and would go new places over a return visit. With a weekend in Berlin you'd potentially leave wanting to return to see more stuff- hence why we've been 4 times and would go again tomorrow. For us, Berlin has the edge because we're WW2 geeks and love the history of the place.

Another 'not much use' post, sorry!

midcenturymodern Thu 08-Sep-16 19:40:15

I loved Berlin and Krakow (never been to Prague). Polish food is not my favourite...

ohidoliketobe Thu 08-Sep-16 19:40:32

God reading back that makes me sound pretentious - in no way do I think we saw everything in just 5 days in Prague. I meant we left satisfied we'd had a good mix of touristy sightseeing and cultural activities - sitting in bars and eating in nice restaurants. You know what I mean!

Artandco Thu 08-Sep-16 19:42:36

Kraków is my favourite for a long weekend. It's small enough you can walk everywhere, lovely restaurants, and can go out of town to auchwitz or salt mines.

Twodogsandahooch Thu 08-Sep-16 19:43:24

Berlin over Prague. Far less touristy

ZenNudist Thu 08-Sep-16 23:29:59

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm leaning towards Berlin and dh towards Prague.

Like ohidoliketobe I am interested in the history of Berlin. I also think it will have better art galleries. I was partial to returning to Vienna as they have fab art galleries. I also think Berlin will have better food. Might be more expensive than Prague and Kraków looks cheap!

Mid century modern I know what you mean about polish food. I would like to go to auschwitz and salt mines now on my list for when I go to Kraków at some point. Though I'd prefer to go nearer to Christmas for the markets. It's got to be a half term trip this time anyway.

I want to book to go up to the top of the parliament building in Berlin. I'd also like to go to that Jewish museum that seems more like art than a building. I'd want to go and see the painted section of wall. I might avoid checkpoint Charlie. I also fancy staying in a hip hotel and finding somewhere playing live music in the eve (I'm flexible, could be classical, could be jazz, just want to get out and do dknethjngs different.)

So any recommendations for Berlin or Prague activities/ hotels/ districts/restaurants/bars gratefully received!

So many places to go, so little time 😜

Crispsheets Thu 08-Sep-16 23:33:24

Berlin...the Art'otel was lovely to stay in. Very hip.
I went there and also Krakow this summer...loved Krakow. Planning to go back later this year.
I didn't warm to Berlin.

ZenNudist Fri 09-Sep-16 06:39:27

Crispsheets, that's a shame, why not?

Mar15mite Fri 09-Sep-16 06:46:58

I've been to berlin and loved it, so interesting. Price wise it's just like being at home.

Budapest I loved even more it is so beautiful and the public spa baths are incredible and it is really great value. You can stay in the best of hotels for what you would pay for a premier inn at home.

Prague I've just booked and going in March 17

Mar15mite Fri 09-Sep-16 06:47:24

I've been to berlin and loved it, so interesting. Price wise it's just like being at home.

Budapest I loved even more it is so beautiful and the public spa baths are incredible and it is really great value. You can stay in the best of hotels for what you would pay for a premier inn at home.

Prague I've just booked and going in March 17

Artandco Fri 09-Sep-16 07:42:36

Ah yes Budapest is lovely also. There's a great little island on the river full of history, and the old castle district has had lots of revocation recently on all the streets and surroundings

I did like Berlin, but to me Berlin is a place you go for business and shopping. There are galleries and museums etc which are interesting, but once you have been once I only return for business as it's not really a place for me to stroll around leisurely or find a great restaurant in a square and relax. Berlin is busy busy

Crispsheets Fri 09-Sep-16 07:47:45

artandco yes I agree...I live in London, and it reminded me of that but without the historical buildings.
Which my dad bombed in 1944 shock
I much prefer Barcelona, Prague, Vienna.....found Berlin bleak.

Blueisthemagicnumber Fri 09-Sep-16 07:55:51

Find out about Taste of Prague. It is an amazing food tour of Prague, but you also learn about recent history of Prague from Jan (pronounced Yan) cool shops to visit, alternative walks to visit sights, and you can ask him any questions about what it is like to live in Prague ( he is late 30's) Made all the difference to our visit. Lokal is a small chain of restaurants serving traditional Czech food, and Beer is good and very cheap! If you go in and a table is reserved for 8pm and it is 6pm, you can sit and eat there as long as you have left before 8. Very safe city too.

Placeinthesun Fri 09-Sep-16 07:56:30

Am recently returned from Krakow, been to Prague before but not Berlin. Krakow was lovely, cheaper and so much less crowded than Prague and you can see a lot in 3-4 days (we did tons on a v short break arriving early Thurs am and leaving midday Sunday), if I had longer would have taken trip out to Salt Mines or Austwich. Recommend Mocak the modern at museum next to the Schindler factory. Wld also recommend staying in the Kazimerz area, cool and hip, loads of eateries and also the Jewish historical area.

Hand also been to Budapest, loved it. Not as compact at Krakow though.

80sWaistcoat Fri 09-Sep-16 08:04:59

Berlin is fab for a weekend break, so much to see and do,it isntapretty city but the museums are incredible. The Jewish museum moved us so much. There's some brilliant walking tours too.

Food...normally eat really well on holiday, but Berlin the food wasn't great...best food we had was Vietnamese...which was great.

Shakey15000 Fri 09-Sep-16 08:15:32

Perfect thread for me! We're also deliberating between Berlin and Prague for this Oct left it a bit late but hoping for a bargain

Summerdiamond where are the cool jazz bars of which you speak?

Anyone got any recommendations for hotels? I want to be in the centre, can't be arsed with trams grin

Shakey15000 Fri 09-Sep-16 08:16:19

Should have said, we're leaning towards Prague

ZenNudist Sat 10-Sep-16 11:24:46

Shakey I'm glad my thread is useful. I am now in a pickle as Artandco and Crispsheets make good points about Berlin being a busy not relaxing city. Prague also sounds lovely.

We've not booked yet but are going tues or weds to Saturday in the half term break so figured it wouldn't be too hard to find somewhere to stay.

Berlin appealed as flights are easier, otherwise I'm adding a car journey to Heathrow of 1.5 hours from where I drop the kids off with family, a 4 hour drive to get there in total and cost of car parking.

Id have thought Berlin would have good international cuisine. I'm loving the sound of that Prague food tour.

Great ideas... Still deciding 🤔

Shakey15000 Tue 04-Oct-16 21:38:19

Update- we booked Bruges in the end. We go next week smile

It was way cheaper flight wise than Prague. Total cost for two people, flight+hotel is £318 for 4days 3nights in 4* Hotel, centre of Bruges.

Berlin, Berlin, Berlin. Best city ever.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now