Talk

Advanced search

Berlin next week - recommendations?

(14 Posts)
DelphiniumBlue Tue 09-Aug-16 14:48:55

Am going to Berlin with DH and Ds15. Have booked flights and hotel, wondering if anyone has any recommendations/ must-sees?

JessicasElephant Tue 09-Aug-16 14:53:34

I really enjoyed the full day walking tour, because it covered loads of pre 19th century stuff as well at the later history (which I already knew a bit about). The museum was good for that too.

jamhot Tue 09-Aug-16 15:00:11

You need to prebook to visit the amazing Parliamentary building. I loved it. Great views from the roof terraces.

www.bundestag.de/htdocs_e/visits/kuppel/kupp/245686

The TV tower was amazing too. Fab views over Berlin. Also worth prebooking to skip queues and get a lower price.

I quite enjoyed a boat tour too. It was nice to slow down and sit after lots of walking around the city.

DelphiniumBlue Tue 09-Aug-16 17:15:50

Great suggestions, thank you!
Jessica, which museum?
If anyone has specific recommendations for walking or boat tours, that would be fab.
And thanks for the link, Jamhot.

ReggaeShark Tue 09-Aug-16 17:19:05

Cycle tour. Was excellent. Teenage DS loved it.

Pre-book for the Reichstag dome.
Boat trip - we just got on near the DDR museum (wouldn't bother with the DDR - thought it was expensive, v crowded and not v good).
Berlin wall museum on Bernauer Strasse.
Olympic stadium.
Cake at Fassbender & Rausch.
Topography of Terror.

JessicasElephant Tue 09-Aug-16 17:45:47

The German Historical Museum. It was really interesting, particularly because I knew literally nothing about the kings/emperors. I can't remember which walking tour we did, but I do particularly remember being moved by the holocaust memorial.

DelphiniumBlue Tue 09-Aug-16 17:47:02

Oh Remus, something about the name of the cake place that makes me imagine the most delicious offerings!
ReggaeShark, DS would enjoy cycle tour, but I am not very fit - how strenuous is it?

Cake place this time last week!

The Jewish museum is superb too.

WhenSheWasBadSheWasHorrid Tue 09-Aug-16 17:55:32

There's a foodie walking tour that's amazing. Would definitely recommend it.

katienana Tue 09-Aug-16 18:02:49

Brunch at Anna Blume. The museum with the Pergamon Altar. The museums are all in the same place. You have to get a curryvurst and a cold beer too. Available pretty much anywhere!

ReggaeShark Tue 09-Aug-16 22:12:49

Cycle tour not strenuous at all. Stopped at WW2 sights and not cycling for more than 10-15 mins between stops. Great Irish guide. Very informative and interesting. Cycled through the main park for a lovely lunch.

DelphiniumBlue Tue 09-Aug-16 22:23:14

Thanks ReggaeShark, sounds good!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now