Dublin with toddlers

(11 Posts)
Hezaire Sat 30-Jul-16 20:38:50

Going for 3 days towards the end of August. Nearly 2 year old and 3 year old. Any recommendations of places to go and places to avoid?
Thank you

giantcar Wed 10-Aug-16 00:29:22

Sorry can't help, but we've fit plans to go too so I'll follow with interest smile

AppleMagic Wed 10-Aug-16 00:42:37

There's a really good children's museum called Imaginosity. It's not in the centre but easy to get to by car or on the green luas (tram) line.
If you do have a car I'd drive out to either Powerscourt House/Glendalough (South of Dublin) or Malahide (north of Dublin) and walk around the gardens and have lunch in the Avoca cafe. Botanical gardens are nice for a walk too if the weather is good.

In the centre there is Dublin zoo which is great for that age and you could spend most of a day there. The modern art museum has a very child friendly cafe (ITSU) in the basement too. There is a separate room you can eat in with a play corner.
The cafe in Dublin castle is quiet and child friendly too. Just opposite there is a garden with a spiral pattern in the grass which mine enjoyed pottering in at that age.
As you can tell I've done a thorough survey of cafes!

AppleMagic Wed 10-Aug-16 00:46:30

Ps the luas is very pushchair friendly and your children travel for free as under 4.

WildIrishRose1 Wed 10-Aug-16 00:50:50

Tattoo Park? I don't know if it's toddler-friendly. Fort Lucan is also good.

WildIrishRose1 Wed 10-Aug-16 00:51:18

*Tayto Park

123rd Wed 10-Aug-16 01:11:19

I flew over for a weekend years ago with a 3 yr old and a 9 month old. It's mid winter (& chuffing freezing) we did the zoo and an aquarium. Can't remember where that was but it was right on the coast and we got a bus to it from the outskirts of the city.
A very different visit compared to the one a few years previous to see oasis...ah, how times changesmile

WildIrishRose1 Wed 10-Aug-16 01:22:04

The aquarium is in a town called Bray. You can get the DART or a bus - 145 - to it. It's not bad. The zoo in Phoenix Park is great - no. 10 bus from City Centre, I think.

KanyesVest Wed 10-Aug-16 08:42:11

Fort Lucan will be better than tayto park at that age. Zoo is great.

freethebiscuit Sat 13-Aug-16 10:49:14

Another one for the zoo. Really enjoyed it. St Stephens Green has a great playground in it too and nice to mooch through. Do you have your hotel all booked? I'd recommend somewhere with a pool too so if all the getting around gets too much you can go back to base and do something relatively easy

LegoMam Sat 13-Aug-16 14:25:41

The zoo is fab!. You could rent some bikes with a tag-along trailer at Phoenix Park and explore. You might see the wild deer!
I second the park in St.Stephen's Green and there is also another great one at Merrion Square Park (behind the statue of Oscar Wilde). You could take the DART to the aquarium in Bray, then walk along the beach and eat some ice cream. Or if you are there on a Sunday, take the DART to Dun Laoghaire and check out the food market in the People's Park. In the opposite direction, you can go to Howth for a trip. You might see the seals at the harbour and there is a playground there too.
And check out the Natural History Museum too-I used to bring my son when he was young and he loved it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now