Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Weekend in Amsterdam with the kids

(11 Posts)
WhoMovedMyStroopwafel Tue 26-Jan-16 21:32:45

DH is doing some work in the Netherlands this summer and I'm going to join him for a weekend in Amsterdam with boys (10 and 12) in May.
Planning to take them to the Anne Frank Museum (now they are old enough) and Van Gogh.
Other recommendations for a weekend?
Food?
Cafés?
Entertainment?
I used to know the city pretty well but that's pre-kids and so some time ago!

shivs1974 Thu 28-Jan-16 21:55:03

Will be watching with interest as we're going in May half term

Misty9 Sun 07-Feb-16 23:42:37

We loved the Nemo science museum and it has a great roof terrace too.

whostolethesocks Thu 12-May-16 21:07:17

I took my 13 year old last year. He loved the Heinekin Experience and just wandering around but we also did Anne Frank's house and the Van Gogh museum. Loads of nice places to eat and all quite reasonable.

Bellie99 Sat 21-May-16 09:08:34

Make sure you book the museums otherwise you will have approx 2 hour queue!!

clam Sat 21-May-16 09:25:58

May half term: queues more likely 3 hours +
It's too late now to book Anne Frank. They'll be taking bookings for July/August at this point. There is a notification thingy you can register for but it's not guaranteed.

dannydyerismydad Sat 21-May-16 09:30:59

We loved the Nemo.

They might enjoy a boat trip around the canals.

Artis Zoo is a nice place to go too.

If it's a fine day, take the train to Zandvoort aan Zee - 30 minutes to a lovely sandy beach. (The water is blooming cold though).

Sallycinnamon1974 Tue 12-Jul-16 22:46:03

We have four children aged between 6 and 15 and took them to Amsterdam for a long weekend. We had a fabulous time. It's very child friendly and thee is lots to do. We literally walked miles so take comfy shoes.

We stayed a little way out of the centre and took the tram in to the city centre every day which was lots of fun. We enjoyed soaking up the atmosphere and looking at how different people live. There are lots of parks with good play areas and children's facilities. It's a great cycling place and you can hire bikes easily. And we also enjoyed a canal boat trip one afternoon.

The older children had a mini photography competition which kept them entertained, trying to take the most interesting photo. We didn't go in any of the museums as the queues are huge but we just enjoyed exploring the place and seeing the sights.

PerspicaciaTick Tue 12-Jul-16 23:01:06

The Carousel Pancake House serves lovely pancakes and lunches near the Heinekin Museum.
www.decarrouselpannenkoeken.nl/

Jumping on and off the canal buses is a good way of seeing the city.

And my DCs (odd creatures that they are) were delighted to go to a supermarket and choose from the huge range of flavours and shapes of Hagelslag so they could bring some home.

Tenpastlate Thu 05-Jan-17 09:36:19

Vondelpark with a picnic lunch, a pedalo boat on the canals, the Mini shop, cheese museum, museum of modern art, pancake/waffle shops with giant tubs of nutella, quirky shops, train to the Hague.
We did 3 days non-stop, comfy footwear essential! DCs absolutely loved it!

BobbyGentry Thu 05-Jan-17 09:56:48

The National Maritime Museum is fantastic, the 18th-century Amsterdam ship moored outside is delightful.
It's close to The Nemo Science Museum.
The Goatfarm Ridammerhoeve, situated in the middle of the Amsterdam forest is just brilliant. Feeding the goats is a joy.
Artis Zoo is well done and a good day out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now