Talk

Advanced search

New York - 4 days in Dec

(4 Posts)
MrsFruitcake Sun 22-Nov-15 18:53:53

It's my 40th at the end of December. Told on Wednesday that I'm off to NY with my Mum for 4 days from 5th Dec as a gift from my parents.

Admit to feeling overwhelmed and a little scared...I always imagined that I's do NY for the first time with DH and suffer from anxiety so this is a big thing for me. Mainly terrified about the flight as I'm crap at flying. We're doing that part with United, so first question is are they any good, do they have a good rep etc?

We have a list of things we'd both like to do - DMs mobilty isn't great so she's booked us a hotel in Manhattan (The New Yorker) which is close to Macy's and Madison Sq. We want to do a carriage ride around central park (can that be booked before we go?), visit the Ground Zero site, ride the Staten Island Ferry and go up the Empire State Building. Any advice on these things would be great! Also suggestions of anything which are great to do too, and recommendations for places to eat and places for Cocktails!

This is a big deal for me - I need to have it all mapped out in my head so I don't panic too much. DH will be at home with the kids and I know I'll worry but just want to stay as sane as possible! I know I've been blessed to receive such a great gift too.

Any ideas/help/advice most appreciated please...smile

MrsFruitcake Tue 24-Nov-15 16:41:22

Anyone?

BabCNesbitt Tue 24-Nov-15 17:14:30

Gah, I wrote partner a reply and then it disappeared! Anyway: yes, United are good, as good as BA IME and definitely better than Delta. Would recommend Top of the Rock at the Rockefeller Center over ESB - fairly close to Macy's and you'd get to see the lovely ice rink and Radio City nearby too (and 34th St where the ESB is is a bit like the crappy end of Oxford Street). And I totally understand about mobility issues and Central Park is lovely, but please do reconsider the carriage ride - the horses are treated badly and kept in terrible conditions.

Do you think you'll ride the subway when you're there, or just take cabs? If you ride the subway, it's worth getting a Metrocard. But do study the subway map - there are a few stations on different lines that all have the same names!

Mrspopper Sun 13-Dec-15 19:37:20

We did one of those open top bus tours..touristy but you get to see all the main sites and get dropped right outside and can hop on/off so good for mobility issues. We were there with our toddler so didn't really do any museums/galleries.
You could catch a show on Broadway. Just enjoy the atmosphere it's a great city!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now