Talk

Advanced search

Copenhagen for three whole childfree days!

(21 Posts)
chocoLit Sun 25-Oct-15 14:19:07

Going in Dec for a long weekend and pathetically excited to get some grown up time!! So come on then, who's been and what should we absolutely not miss??

MrsBertMacklin Sun 25-Oct-15 14:40:30

You have to go to Louisiana Museum. Half hour north of the city by train, beautiful sculpture park on the cliffs, great cafe.

I was underwhelmed by the National Museum, but loved the National Gallery, was in there for hours.

If you go to the National Gallery, go to Torvehallerne food market for lunch then have a walk in Kings Gardens and have a look at Rosenborg Castle.

Canal tour is great as a starting point. If you alight at Gammel Strand, Lots of cafes for lunch off the side roads, then you can wander clothes and jewellery shops.

JeanSeberg Sun 25-Oct-15 14:45:50

Sleep and shag.

cowbag1 Sun 25-Oct-15 14:50:34

Tivoli at Christmas will be magical. Yy to canal tour and Rosenborg castle. Amalienborg also isn't far (the royal residence). You can also get the train out to Klampenborg for a horse and carriage ride through a beautiful deer park (would be amazing if it snows, which it probably will!) followed by mulled wine. It's a nice walk down the pedestrianised Stroget, has lots of nice shops, starts near Tivoli and ends near Nyhavn (pretty little harbour that's worth a visit and a starting point for several canal tours.)

It will be much colder than the UK so be prepared! And comfy shoes as there's lots of walking to be done, as you would expect in a capital city.

Nydj Sun 25-Oct-15 15:00:36

We did free walking tour which starts at about 11am outside the town hall, canal boat tour was ok once we gave up on trying to understand the guide and just enjoy the views. We ate a lot of pastries, of course. Climbing the church with the spiral staircase on the outside was good as it has great views. Copenhagen is gorgeous, I really, really loved it - hope you have a fabulous time.

MrsBertMacklin Sun 25-Oct-15 15:11:20

Yy to shoes. I came prepared thankfully. My pedometer recorded an average of 10 miles a day + COBBLES.

dynevoran Sun 25-Oct-15 15:13:58

I'm off there child free this evening and coming back tues evening so will be reading these comments now and post back when I return!

dynevoran Sun 25-Oct-15 15:16:03

All I have planned is a table at a fish restaurant tonight at 10pm and a 20 course tasting menu tomorrow evening around 7pm. Ridiculously excited - just on our way to Luton airport now!

MrsBertMacklin Sun 25-Oct-15 15:38:40

Dynevoran, please tell us where you're eating so I can live vicariously?

chocoLit Sun 25-Oct-15 15:42:39

Sleeping & shagging on to do list already lol

Dynevoran have a super time, can't wait to hear. Are you eating at kul

chocoLit Sun 25-Oct-15 15:55:57

Am on my feet all day at work and we wear the Skechers memory foam trainer thingies so have ordered myself a pair of the boots too

TheXxed Sun 25-Oct-15 15:59:12

København is tiny it took about 45 mins to see all the main sites.

We were cheap and flew to Malmo in sweden then caught the train to Copenhagen.

Duckdeamon Sun 25-Oct-15 16:03:50

There was a lovely bread, cake and pastries shop chain, can't remember the name leghthufen or something (?!), but it was all delicious. Liked the food market too.

Tivoli v v v cold and expensive, wouldn't bother if no kids.

chocoLit Sun 25-Oct-15 19:18:06

The flights were an absolute bargain, £60 for us both & great times. Hotel covered by avios points so we've been lucky that way.

Looking to visit as many cafes/food markets as possible, a wee research trip for work wink

dynevoran Sun 25-Oct-15 23:27:00

We arrived just after 10pm and had a table booked at kødbyens fiskebar. Had mussels and crab and hake and scallops and it was all to die for....So delicious. Staying in a really nice airbnb apartment in the old meat packing district. I love this city already!

Tomorrow we are eating at kokkeriet and I don't know what to expect.

This place is just very cool in a very understated way. Can't wait til tomorrow!

chocoLit Mon 26-Oct-15 07:22:48

Dynevoran that sounds super!! I hope today is just as good for you. Can't wait to hear all about it smile

dynevoran Wed 28-Oct-15 14:10:13

Food was all amazing. Pastries for breakfast and amazing dinners. Hired bikes and cycled a lot. Sleep and shag - check grinblush.

I love the design. Everyone just cool in a nonhipster way. Understated. Definitely returning when we buy a new house next year and need light fittings and furniture as I love midcentury modern like there.

We had to leave at 1pm yesterday so decided to kill some time at Tivoli gardens and we had so much fun....our kids are too young for most rides so was nice to be able to go on them and feel young again...like when we met in our early twenties. It's not what everyone would want from a holiday and not very cheap but we left giggling and to do something just us but quite silly was really good for us.

Was a shame to come home but was excited to see the boys. Bought ds1 a nice Lego set so he was pleased.

I hope you have a great time.

chocoLit Thu 29-Oct-15 16:57:07

Sounds like you had a fab time! Am still waiting on my new passport but refusing to panic lol

chocoLit Sat 31-Oct-15 23:40:15

Passport has arrived!!!! <phew>

dynevoran Sun 01-Nov-15 15:57:13

That's a relief! Have a great time away.

chocoLit Thu 17-Dec-15 18:56:04

Copenhagen was AMAZING, just brilliant. Anyone considering going do it, we loved it. Cannot wait to go back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now