Talk

Advanced search

Italy weekend without kids - any ideas?

(16 Posts)
MrsC09 Wed 02-Sep-15 20:37:58

Thanks to my lovely mum we have the opportunity to go away for a weekend in October without kids. Would love to go somewhere nice & quiet with beautiful views & amazing food not too far from an international airport. Any ideas??

Thanks

ThomasRichard Wed 02-Sep-15 20:47:06

Florence will be quiet in October. If you stay in Fiesole you'll have an even quieter spot.

wickedwaterwitch Sat 05-Sep-15 16:10:56

Venice is very romantic, go if you haven't been - perfect for a weekend

Rome is great too. But book skip the line tickets or, even better, a guided tour to eg the colloseum as othewise you'll spend ages queuing.

I'd look at hotel Russie or Hotel Hassler in Rome

LIZS Sat 05-Sep-15 16:13:02

Lake Como or Maggiore from Milan or Lake Garda(Sirmione) from Verona.

wickedwaterwitch Sat 05-Sep-15 16:14:15

In Venice

www.aman.com/resorts/aman-venice

But there are loads of fab hotels there

wickedwaterwitch Sat 05-Sep-15 16:14:31

Of look at the Gritti Palace too

Twinkie1 Sat 05-Sep-15 16:15:45

Borgo egnazia is amazing for a childless break.

rookiemere Sat 05-Sep-15 16:16:57

We're off to Venice in about 10 days as DS away with the school. Looks fabulous for a couple of nights as not loads of things to see and seems to be mostly wandering around and stopping to sip bellinis every so often!

Rome is wonderful, but so much to see that I'm not sure a weekend would do it justice.

wickedwaterwitch Sat 05-Sep-15 16:17:45

Our tour of the colloseum with these people was amazing

romewalks.com

wickedwaterwitch Sat 05-Sep-15 16:18:47

Oh enjoy Venice smile

We did a great guided walk there too,it was great

DelphiniumBlue Sat 05-Sep-15 16:19:13

Florence. You can fly from London City airport straight to Florence airport which is about 20 mins by bus from the centre of Florence- easier than Venice or even Rome.
And yes to booking tickets in advance for anything you want to see, it saves hours of queueing.

lavendersun Sat 05-Sep-15 16:29:54

Bologna is lovely - fantastic food, plenty to do for a weekend. Cheaper flights generally ime.

I love Venice, like Rome but really really love Bologna - am going back in October and combining it with Florence and a few days on the beach but if I could only choose one place for a quiet weekend it would be Bologna.

www.bolognawelcome.com/en/places-to-see/highlights/

Elledouble Sat 05-Sep-15 17:04:26

Oh, definitely Florence - so easy to get to, fabulous art if you're into that kind of thing, beautiful Boboli gardens to walk around. We had a stunning week there a few years ago, we absolutely loved it.

Dancingdreamer Sun 06-Sep-15 22:57:54

If you want stunning views, go to Ravello on the Amalfi coast. Fly to Naples. Transfer from memory was about an hour. October is the perfect time to visit as coast is quieter and not beseiged with tourists. Loads to see around the area eg Pompeii and Herculanium. Lots of fabulous walks. Or just stay in town and visit the gardens, enjoy the music concerts and eat delicious Italian pizza.

lavendersun Mon 07-Sep-15 05:45:39

That coast is lovely Dancing, really beautiful and yes, much better later on.

We are going to Rimini (and Florence) in October as part of our Bologna trip. Haven't been to Rimini before.

I wouldn't choose Florence for a quiet weekend though and you have to be organised enough to book the things you want to see beforehand so can't really ad lib like in some of the other places mentioned.

Obvs beautiful with lots to see - I used to travel there alone and always felt very safe.

Lizbert1 Sun 07-Feb-16 14:38:26

Hi MrsC09, sorry I'm a bit late to the party but if you get another chance for a weekend in Italy, I'd recommend Turin. It has beautiful architecture, great piazzas, fab food, wonderful chocolates, loads of history (first capital of Italy etc etc) and is not too touristy! Buon viaggio!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now