Talk

Advanced search

What to do in Krakow with kids

(11 Posts)
MsMischief Sat 08-Mar-14 13:59:24

I have 2 days in Krakow with dcs aged 10, 8 and 5. Can anyone recommend things to do and things to avoid. I fancy the salt mines but I don't know if dcs would be too little. Also my Polish is limited to hello. Are English translations common in restaurants etc. I am not very well travelled been caravanning in Devon

dementedma Sat 08-Mar-14 14:03:46

There is a cool underground holograph museum under the main market square. The entrance is quite hard to find but a great place to visit with kids. We had a week in Krakow last summer and loved it. Food is very very cheap so you can eat out and most people speak English. Say lots of hellos and thank you's and smile and you'll be fine. Salt mines are amazing but 5 year old might be bored and there are lots and lots of steps down!

LCHammer Sat 08-Mar-14 14:06:08

Have a crackin' time.

NigellasDealer Sat 08-Mar-14 14:08:03

Wawel castle and the main square with its market hall might entertain you for a day.

Allalonenow Sat 08-Mar-14 14:19:15

Children might like a tour in a horse and carriage, you pick them up in the main Market square. The Barbican is interesting, and being quite compact, children would not get bored. Planty is a park following the line of the old city walls and nice for a stroll (or a run to let off steam).
Ice cream is a must! There are often singers, gipsy bands etc in the main square.

dementedma Sat 08-Mar-14 16:24:53

You can also do a boat trip but its not very inspiring, other than small children often like being on a boat!

Morien Sat 08-Mar-14 16:30:40

Salt mines tour fantastic, but far too long for little ones, and no way of cutting it short if they're bored.

You'll always be able to find people who speak good English, and menus etc in most places are translated.

The fire-breathing dragon beneath the Wawel!

MsMischief Sat 08-Mar-14 20:06:54

Thanks everyone. That underground museum looks awesome. It's a shame that the salt mines will not be good with the dcs but I don't think I'll take the risk as I don't have another adult to fall back on if they are bored or anything. The hotel is near the main square and the park and it looks like we could walk to wawel castle too.

NigellasDealer Sat 08-Mar-14 20:10:24

yes you can definitely walk to Wawel from the square.
There is a place at Wawel where ley lines are said to cross, and you get some special 'buzz' on that spot, sure you can google it.

Allalonenow Sat 08-Mar-14 21:06:10

Children will enjoy the story about the trumpeter in the church tower on the the main square, he plays on the hour day and night!

Chloebw Sun 30-Mar-14 20:25:17

Schindler museum educational and lots going on. Modern and interactive

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now