Talk

Advanced search

Golf/spa hotel in South east

(7 Posts)
Ihatemytoes Mon 10-Feb-14 15:27:02

I would like to book a weekend away for me and DH for a special birthday (his). He's recently got into golf in s big way, so I was thinking somewhere that offers golf for him, and also has a spa for me! A good restaurant on site restaurant would be nice too. We're in London so I'd like somewhere no more than 2 hours drive away. Was thinking Sussex, but I'm open to suggestions. can anyone recommend anywhere? I've looked at tripadvisor but I'd prefer to hear from someone who's been somewhere like this recently. We'd be going in October, I don't know what a realistic budget is, hopefully under £400? If this isn't doable, I'm more than happy to ditch the golf part of my plan!

pookypup Mon 10-Feb-14 16:04:14

Ashdown park hotel is beautiful - has spa and golf course with a lovely restaurant. I took my husband for his birthday last summer, though we didn't use the golf or spa. We did a one night package with junior suite and dinner at your price range.

East Sussex national is also worth looking at, very modern and good spa facilities, though I've not tried the food there.

Ruthiebabes Mon 10-Feb-14 21:01:34

Check out The Grove in Hertfordshire

HermioneWeasley Mon 10-Feb-14 21:03:56

Penny hill park is lovely. No golf course at the hotel but there are several nearby. The spa is divine and the restaurant is excellent.

Ihatemytoes Tue 11-Feb-14 09:03:35

Thanks. I'll check your suggestions out.

Gatorade Tue 11-Feb-14 09:23:11

I have just spent a lovely weekend at The Grove and recently had a night at Penny Hill Park too, both are fantastic. I prefer the spa at Penny Hill but the spa at The Grove is good enough (book treatments though as there aren't that many 'free' facilities there) and has the added bonus of having a great golf course.

Penny Hill has a Mitchelin starred restaurant (The Latymer) and The Grove has Collette's (3AA rosettes) - both of which have great tasting menus. However, if you like 'volume' of food and still really good quality the Glasshouse in The Grove is really really good, it is a buffet, but a really good buffet, probably the best roast beef I have ever had! I actually would go back to The Grove just to eat at that buffet again.

I'd say around 400 including food would get you a night at one of these hotels.

If you are looking for two nights maybe consider The Runnymede (once the flooding has subsided) or Alexander House (maybe a bit pricey too) - both are in Surrey.

Look out for special offers on their websites or consider going on a Sunday night which is normally good value for money compared to the rest of the week!

Have a lovely time

Ihatemytoes Fri 14-Feb-14 08:40:57

Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now