Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can you get a romantic break cheaply without having to stay in El Shitto B and B?

(20 Posts)
fairyfly Mon 10-Jul-06 13:55:46

As in under a hundred quid for the room, not per person, that is stylish and smart and maybe a little bit different.

In the Lakes, Yorkshire, Derbyshire maybe, well anywhere not too far from Manchester.

wordgirl Mon 10-Jul-06 14:03:44

fairyly, I bookmarked this when someone on MN recommended it. It also has a sister hotel called Aphrodites Lodge(!) - follow the link from the website.

WideWebWitch Mon 10-Jul-06 14:04:35

Fairyfly, look at laterooms , you can get huge discounts if you can wait until the last minute. I've stayed at Eleven Didsbury Park which is on Laterooms for £81 for some nights. If you don't go through Laterooms it's still worth haggling when you call a hotel. So I reckon yes, you can get a room for under £100 per room per night without it being el shitto, absolutely.

fairyfly Mon 10-Jul-06 14:06:51

Thanks, that would be perfect if i was to go midweek but for the weekend it is 130 a night.

I have a feeling i'm asking the impossible.

WideWebWitch Mon 10-Jul-06 14:08:07

look at Mr and Mrs Smith, they've recently started adding boutique b&bs, which are cheaper than their hotels

WideWebWitch Mon 10-Jul-06 14:09:28

Also worth a look is The Guardian travel site

fairyfly Mon 10-Jul-06 14:10:13

Thanks www, Didsbury a bit too near, i've been looking on laterooms, i shall keep my eyes open.

WideWebWitch Mon 10-Jul-06 14:10:19

look, top 50 under £50!

fairyfly Mon 10-Jul-06 14:31:46

Thankyou www, i'' trawl through those, ive not seen any i like yet.

Loads in mr and mrs smith though >sigh<

meowmix Mon 10-Jul-06 14:35:07

try The Potting Shed in Chapel-en-le-Frith in Derbyshire. Very remote and very lovely. Lovely couple running it too.

katierocket Mon 10-Jul-06 14:53:21

the pheasant inn is gorgeous. Lovely rooms, fantastic view of cheshire but also a lovely cosy pub atmosphere at night with great food. We had a fantastic night there.

fairyfly Mon 10-Jul-06 15:58:53

Tanks, i like the look of the Pheasant in. Do you know Katy if it is far for a taxi as remote is good but we probably want a night out aswell.

katierocket Mon 10-Jul-06 16:02:51

It is really lovely. I'm not sure about taxis. The nearest town is Chester (says on their website that it is 15 mins by car). It is quite remote so unless you want to get pissed in the pub you're probably best getting a rough idea from them of how much a taxi would be.

fairyfly Mon 10-Jul-06 16:16:12

oh the menu looks fab, im going to ring now and hope they have vacancies, thanks!

fennel Mon 10-Jul-06 16:24:27

Biggin Hall in Derbyshire (south of Buxton) is nice. about £70 a room I think but it has geese on the lawn and in winter does free mulled wine which always entices me.

fennel Mon 10-Jul-06 16:26:04

here's the website. we had a lovely weeekend there

Biggin hall

schneebly Mon 10-Jul-06 16:27:09

just made the mistake of reading the menu for the pheasant inn! <<drools>>

katierocket Mon 10-Jul-06 17:56:31

hope they have some space ff. The food is yum.

hellywobs Sun 25-Feb-07 18:08:08

You certainly can - have a look at the Bed and Breakfast Nationwide website or Stay in Style - quality B&Bs that don't cost the earth.

Lilymaid Wed 28-Feb-07 13:39:05

Upmarket B&B between Buxton and Ashbourne:
The Smithy
We have stayed there and have booked to go again. Restaurants in Ashbourne, Buxton or in many pubs in nearby villages. Also this rather strange, but good fun Italian restaurant just up the road:
Carriages

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now