Talk

Advanced search

Never been to Italy...

(10 Posts)
ToPeeOrNotToPee Mon 12-Sep-11 18:18:42

and would love to go somewhere for a weekend break with my DP.

I'm thinking either Venice, Rome or Florence.

Any recommendations?

Byeckerslike Mon 12-Sep-11 18:22:01

Florence... Amazing!
Rome... Amazing, but its much better if you are in a rush as the real life big city stuff ruins the magic (graffiti,crime etc) biased as had phone stolen the once dont let that put you off though i was speechless te first time i went.
My advice, dont bother queuing for the collosseum, the inside is not worth the wait, the outside is beautiful.
Venice... Yet to do so can't help there!

Florence would be my choice

ohmeohmy Mon 12-Sep-11 18:43:26

second Florence and if you fly into Pisa and take the train over (Cheap airlines tend to fly into Pisa) you can see the leaning tower and all the other great buildings around it too.

FannyBrawne Mon 12-Sep-11 18:49:15

re Venice: avoid in the summer - winter is best (fog/mist over canals make it all the more atmospheric).

Florence is probably my favourite though.

Cartoonjane Mon 12-Sep-11 18:50:44

I have been to all three and would prefer Venice or Florence to Rome. Both fabulous.

said Mon 12-Sep-11 19:04:52

I've done all three as well, and I'd do Venice or Florence if just a weekend.

ToPeeOrNotToPee Mon 12-Sep-11 19:10:11

fanny we would be going around mid-October. Is Venice nice then?

Leaning towards Venice or Florence now!

ToPeeOrNotToPee Mon 12-Sep-11 19:10:43

Can anyone recommend a nice hotel in either city?

Don't rule out Milan! Or fly into Milan and go to Lake Como - stunning.

I have done Pisa, that's okay for a weekend, as there isn't too much to do after the tower and the dome. It's a bit run down on the outskirts however.

Overall I'd say Florence out of your choices.

ElbowFan Thu 20-Oct-11 18:35:25

We stayed in the Best Western just a short distance from St Marks.
Several nice little restaurants in nearby backstreets. Well located for all the 'sights' and very close to the 'bus' stops for Grand Canal and out to the islands.
We flew into Marco Polo and took the river bus to St Marks, so no problem getting cases any long distance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now