Talk

Advanced search

Barcelona, Seville or Madrid?

(8 Posts)
BCBG Sat 27-Aug-11 21:29:29

DD has decided to take Spanish at A level and I am trying to arrange a few ays in Spain at the start of half term. Problem is, I have never been, and so don't know which city would be best? We/she would like some history/culture, some style/ shopping of the Mango/Zara variety, and some good relaxed food. Any ideas which I should choose, please? Thanks

BCBG Mon 29-Aug-11 14:56:25

Bump? sad

Wigeon Mon 29-Aug-11 15:13:18

What a lovely idea. Any of those cities would fit your criteria. I think Barcelona is really good for a short break as Madrid is huge and a bit overwhelming.

An0therName Mon 29-Aug-11 15:30:03

In Barcelona -which is great - they don't speak that much spanish - they speak Catalan....its pretty different

I have only been to Madrid once but got the impression its was quite big and slighly over whelming - but it would provide all of what you are looking for

Seville is fab - and smaller -
Valencia would be another idea maybe -maybe get a guide book to spain out of the libray and see what strikes you
also look at flight cost

Wigeon Mon 29-Aug-11 16:50:21

They would speak enough Spanish for an A-level student to practise ordering in a restaurant / talking in shop / making small talk with Spaniards in a cafe! When we were in Barcelona everyone spoke Spanish even if some (most?) of them also spoke Catalan.

EverSoLagom Mon 29-Aug-11 17:24:42

I had a three day break in Seville and absolutely loved it! Gorgeous town, lots of great cafes and tapas places, beautiful architecture. We flew ryanair and stayed in a budget type hotel which was absolutely fine. Also we went in January but the weather was like English summer. Very nice!

Geordieminx Mon 29-Aug-11 17:41:14

Barcelona is one of my fav places, I have been loads, and am always recommending it on here, haven't been to Madrid although really fancy it.

Sorry that's not much help is it? I'm sure they would all be lovely... Perhaps see where has the cheapest flights?

BCBG Mon 29-Aug-11 21:47:22

Thanks! smile... will look at Seville first

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now