Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for something special to do in London

(10 Posts)
suebfg Fri 29-Jul-11 21:14:42

It's my 40th in a couple of weeks time and I've booked a weekend in London for myself, DH and DS (aged 4).

DH has asked me if there's anything special I want. I don't really want presents but it'd be nice to do something special whilst we're there.

I'd like to do something as a family and I'm not one for fancy restaurants (done that with work) or spa/beauty treatments. Does anyone have any interesting ideas??

kayah Sat 30-Jul-11 00:39:16

someone else's suggestion - Get a travelcard and try and visit the monopoly board

go to Speaker's Corner, Hyde Park on a Sunday morning.

visit any of our Cathedrals when their boy's choirs are singing

book one of black cabs with a driver who has the blue badge to drive you around and show something about London you don't know
or this one www.blacktaxitours.co.uk

go to one of the walks in London

www.walks.com/

www.secretlondonwalks.co.uk/

for ds (food's not the best though) : www.therainforestcafe.co.uk/

he would love it

visit the Golden Hinde, berthed at St Mary Overie Dock

see the ceremony of the keys is one of the best-kept secrets of the Tower of London

startail Sat 30-Jul-11 02:05:18

Google the duck tour amphibious bus you see the sights and then drive straight into the river opposite Westminster. Very silly and fun driver has you all being ducks.
The London eye of course DD2s been twice once at 6 (same trip as the duck) and again with the brownies she loves it.
Queues are a bit slow, but the eye is great for DCs because it's all glass and they can stand up and move about. I think a 4 yearold would love going over the trains, busses and boatssmile

mummymeister Sun 31-Jul-11 17:06:20

Sorry to be dull but we really enjoyed all of the free museums! Covent Garden to wander around, watch the entertainers and shop. what about a walk over tower bridge at high level? Depends really if it is for you or your 4 year old but leave him with Dad and go to Greenwich market or Camden Market. lots of restaurants (even the v good ones) are child friendly. research now and contact them directly. Agree with the amphibious bus - great fun. any festivals on whilst you are there? Check out the visitlondon website for info

Spenguin Fri 12-Aug-11 21:19:11

Go to Holland Park's Kyoto Garden or the Orangery there.

Alternatively, there will be outdoor film screenings in London. Somerset House ones are probably all sold out, but there will be ones at the Southbank Centre.

How about...cycling on a Boris bike around Regent's Park? Harvey Nicks used to do the best value for money fresh picnic hamper (picnic by the Serpentine?) for £30 for 2 people. However, if 2 of you manage o finish this, I'll be impressed. I could barely walk after we had one.

Camden Market is lots of fun - I used to live in Camden Town. However, not sure how a 4 year old would cope with it?

The Proms are on (babysitter, perhaps?) and tickets are remarkably cheap.

Hope you have a lovely weekend!

Thefoxsbrush Fri 12-Aug-11 22:39:08

Private London eye flight for the 3 of you?

EmmaRoyd Thu 18-Aug-11 22:01:52

See a film at the IMAX, have lunch at Giraffe on Southbank, wander down Southbank and see the statue people, have a ride on the Eye and maybe a cocktail at the OXO tower if the kids let you?

EmmaRoyd Thu 18-Aug-11 22:04:32

Skylon is a nice restaurant in that area too, less kiddy than giraffe but they are child friendly as I had my birthday lunch there and took DD who was 2 at the time. Nice for a birthday treat. Not many people know about it so it won't be full of tourists.

EmmaRoyd Thu 18-Aug-11 22:06:59

What I mean is that Skylon is a posh grown up restaurant but not averse to children IYKWIM.

wompoopigeon Thu 18-Aug-11 22:55:55

Amble round Borough Market on the Saturday morning trying the food.
And have a sneaky glass of cava there too as you amble.

I wonder if your son is too small to go on a speedboat on the Thames. Google Thames Rib Experience or similar.

Go to Fortnums to have ice cream sundaes.

Happy birthday BTW!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now