Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for one night stay with DH to celebrate anniversary

(20 Posts)
whostolethesocks Wed 22-Jun-11 20:24:39

Live in south east and wouldn't want to travel more than about an hour really. Looking for nice hotel with nice food or something more alternative. Romantic would be quite nice wink

Northernlurker Wed 22-Jun-11 20:35:15

this is maybe too far for you? I went to Rye as a child and have always promised myself I'll go back. Lovely place.

whostolethesocks Wed 22-Jun-11 20:45:33

No Rye is easy to get to and a nice place to look around too. Will investigate. Thanks for the suggestion.

vintageteacups Wed 22-Jun-11 20:47:33

here??

whostolethesocks Wed 22-Jun-11 20:50:15

Thanks Vintage. That looks nice too. I want somewhere not too 'corporate' if you know what I mean as DH quite often stays in those type of hotels.

BellaBearisWideAwake Wed 22-Jun-11 20:51:09

Google sawdays and check out the hotels there.

whostolethesocks Wed 22-Jun-11 20:58:39

Thanks Bella. Am checking it out now. Any recommendations from there?

BellaBearisWideAwake Thu 23-Jun-11 06:20:22

No bit I always intend to use it!

pirateparty Thu 23-Jun-11 09:32:04

Is the manoir aux quat'saisons too expensive?

Or the Crazy bear hotels are quirky and there are a few to chose from.

RickGhastley Thu 23-Jun-11 09:42:01

Have a look at Maison Talbooth in Essex, gorgeous! And a lovely restaurant just down the road.

nowwearefour Thu 23-Jun-11 09:42:37

Have you considered a hotel du vin? Eg henley or poole or even brighton? Totally amazing - food and building and atmosphere. Not corporate at all. We love them and always go for one night for our anniversary. Enjoy it wherever you go!

whostolethesocks Thu 23-Jun-11 10:48:54

Thanks for all your suggestions. Would love to go to Manoir au Quat'Saisons but am guessing will be too expensive (might check out the price anyway!)

Never heard of Crazy Bear hotels - going to Google them now. Will also check out the Essex one Rick Ghastley and the Hotel du Vin hotels. Oooh lots of choices now - decisions, decisions.............

whostolethesocks Thu 23-Jun-11 12:16:17

Just checked Manoir. Think that's out of the question!!! (looks very nice though....)

BeeBread Thu 23-Jun-11 12:21:17

Twee but nice with a good menu and access to lovely walks on the South Downs

MoreBeta Thu 23-Jun-11 12:32:09

We did our 20th Anniversary at the Hotel du Vin in Cheltenham. Ask for the Moet Vntage Collection room. They sometimes do special deals.

Our room had a bed made up for 3 people, a leather bound rocking horse, two slipper baths in the actual room plus a 3 person shower. We had no idea what we were booking and as the room door opened me and DW looked at each other in shock and horror. We are from sheltered upbringings and a bit more teasmaid and a morning paper. Very very nice though and lovely staff and service.

There is a good bistro in the hotel but we then went to the Le Cahmpignon Sauvage restaurant close by with 2 Michelin stars. Closed until 1 July 2011.

BeeBread Thu 23-Jun-11 15:10:32

I wish Hotel du Chocolat was a real hotel... would stay there in a flash.

pirateparty Thu 23-Jun-11 15:59:16

Yes - for me too re the Manoir! Was hoping to live vicariously! DH booked it for our first wedding anniversary but then found out I was pregnant so decided to cancel (wanted to go when could enjoy everything on the menu, inc the wine list! - and managed to get our deposit back) only to find that actually once you have a baby and aren't both working full time, childcare costs etc etc it's too expensive to even consider! So, maybe in about 18 years time then!

Have stayed in the Crazy Bear in Stadhampton though. Was v nice.

worldgonecrazy Thu 23-Jun-11 16:04:19

Hotel du Vin in Tunbridge Wells and ask for the room with the really big bed, bath in the room and separate sitting area. Can't remember the name of it.

whostolethesocks Thu 23-Jun-11 16:26:16

Lots of votes for Hotel du Vin then? Will definitely take a look.

nowwearefour Thu 23-Jun-11 20:31:47

I found the Tunbridge wells HdV to be the least gorgeous of all the ones I have been to- just a word of warning. They have different grades of room depending on how much you are prepared to pay! and great offers if you can do a sunday night instead of the sat!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now