Talk

Advanced search

One day to do VENICE

(10 Posts)
MoaningMinn Fri 01-Apr-11 11:37:52

Am accompanying DH on business trip to Venice in May.
We have the whole of Saturday plus the evening to go to Venice itself.
Can anyone recommend places to go/eat? Or any bits to avoid? Have been once as a sixth former years ago but dont remember it well.
TIA

Bucharest Fri 01-Apr-11 11:38:37

If you re-post this in Little Italy there is a MNer who lives in Venice and will be able to advise!

munstersmum Fri 01-Apr-11 11:41:39

Go first thing to the Doges Palace & ask for the secret tour (no not an April Fool!). They only run it once or twice a day but it is fab to be taken round in a small group & behind the scenes via secret passages.

MoaningMinn Fri 01-Apr-11 11:41:57

Thank you!!

Bucharest Fri 01-Apr-11 11:42:41

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/other_subjects/1158584-Little-Italy-24

highriggs Fri 01-Apr-11 11:47:45

You need to book online for the Secret Tour I think, we did it and it was very good, but very hot when up in the roof. Quite long tour so take water

catchmeifyoucan Fri 08-Apr-11 17:13:18

Avoid avoid avoid any restaurant boasting 'Menu Turistico' - it will be shit and very expensive! In fact, really good restaurants are thin on the ground in Venice unless you have buckets of cash. We always eat 'on the go' - fabulous slices of hot pizza, delicious tramezzini (sandwiches), ice cream etc. Coffee is ultra expensive if you're silly enough to sit in Piazza San Marco (think €25 for 3 - yes really!)

Since you've only got once day don't venture too far out of the centre I guess - Find Campo (or is it Piazza) San Stefano, sit for coffee and enjoy the sparrows that will feed from your hand!

Enjoy yourself - Venice is superb!

Rosa Sat 09-Apr-11 12:20:24

Hello here I am ...My fave is AL Vecchio Bragosso its located just of Campo Ss Apostoli - serves meat and fish - mainly fish however and is in a mid price range but if you go for teh works and good wine ( they have some yummy ones ) then it can easily go to high.
Secret tour yes book on line.
ALso consider the Scuola Grande di San Rocco and the Friari church ...Just a bit different.
YOu can easily wander round in a day its when you want to go and see specifics that it gets a bit complicated.
If you want to know anything specific just let me know ...... I am the MN that lives here.

Skifit Tue 03-May-11 14:29:49

Have fun !! not sure bout advice... but have been there 3 x .
May is a nice time to go, not too hot.

mumtotherescue Sun 12-Jun-11 16:56:00

My family and I were in Venice August 2011 for the day (we were holidaying in Lake Garda) . Great place to visit, but very expensive. We took our own pack lunch and picked up some pizzas for dinner. We went up the campanile which was lovely to see Venice at a height and spent some time in San Marco with the friendly pigeons, but daren't eat or drink in San Marco. We enjoyed loosing ourselves around Venice down all the little passageway and streets. It was the best way of see Venice. We ended up far north in the Jewish quarters. It is a great place to see, but sooo expensive. Have fun smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: