Talk

Advanced search

Cool places to eat / drink in Cambridge (without kids - hooray!)

(10 Posts)
BethanG Tue 09-Nov-10 19:38:42

Hi
We're escaping to Cambridge for 2 nights without the kids which is a first, and just wondering if anyone knows of any niceplaces to eat / drink in. Nothing madly expensive please! Nice cosy pub, cocktail bar, any type of restaurant - any recommendations welcome!
Thanks
Bethan

piprabbit Wed 10-Nov-10 12:34:18

I went to the Galleria on Bridge Street and had a lovely meal:

www.galleriacambridge.co.uk/

Oh and Giraffe is good for brunch grin.

Lilymaid Wed 10-Nov-10 20:20:06

Have a look in Local Secrets

cleoismycat Wed 10-Nov-10 20:23:40

Jamie Oliver has just opened a resturant - v nice. Loch Fyne is lovely. Hotel Du Vin has a gorgeous bar, but bit pricey. De Luca is a good italian and they also have a nice bar. The Eagle is a good traditional pub with loads of history. Teri-Aki great for sushi. The Chop House is supposed to be good I've heard but I've not been there myself.
Where are you staying?

reddaisy Wed 10-Nov-10 20:24:47

Avoid Giraffe if you haven't got children with you!!

Varsity on Regent Street is nice for meze, Brown's is nice and grown up. There is a Jamie's Italian but that gets very busy. Lots of restaurants to choose from.

Have a lovely time.

Lilymaid Wed 10-Nov-10 20:45:33

Either Chophouse (St John's and the original in King's Parade) is OK if you like big hearty meals. My personal favourite is Le Gros Franck on corner of Hills Road and Station Road - real French food.
There's always Browns ... food not that great but usually pretty buzzy.

piprabbit Thu 11-Nov-10 10:33:50

Hmm - must admit that my experience of Giraffe was at 11am on a Monday morning, and it was wonderfully quiet grin.
I do like being served a proper breakfast without having anyone small trying to shove handfuls of sugar puffs down my cleavage.

kiwibella Mon 22-Nov-10 19:11:53

I love the ambience of Jamie's. The building is spectacular but I have only had dessert there (lunch at another Jamie's in London which was fab! It's probably the same menu). I love the story of the Eagle. You must at least stop in there for a drink. Browns is good for cocktails too.

TabithaTwitchet Mon 22-Nov-10 19:17:08

Cote on Bridge Street is very very nice.
Excellent French Bistro style food, nice ambience, inexpensive, nice staff grin

Flaneuse Mon 22-Nov-10 19:25:12

The Pickerel, near Magdalene Bridge, is a lovely, cosy, old pub, and the Punter, up the road and round the corner from it, has comfy beaten-up old sofas and does great food.

I always find the Cambridge Loch Fyne very good.

I do envy your child-free weekend in Cambridge!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now