Talk

Advanced search

What to do with the dress?

(12 Posts)
delilahbelle Sat 08-Aug-09 21:16:58

So, it's the day after the wedding.

My lovely dress will never be worn again, but what can I do with it? Cleaning it and then shoving it in a box seems a waste. Any suggestions?

whomovedmychocolate Sat 08-Aug-09 23:17:57

Clean it, sell it, buy new shoes.

Seriously unless you think your children will want it when they grow up, don't keep it. It's there for a purpose but do you really want to carry it with you through house moves and growing older - it'll only depress you in five years if you can't fit into it.

Congratulations btw!

LoveBeingAMummy Sat 08-Aug-09 23:19:19

What re you doing on here? Why are you thinking about this go and enjoy your new husband grin

snice Sat 08-Aug-09 23:21:06

Cut it up to make antimacassars grin

Paolosgirl Sat 08-Aug-09 23:21:21

Keep it!! Mine's stuffed in DD's dressing up cupboard, complete with footprint where Dh stood on it during our first dance. I can still fit into mine 15 years later <preen> and it's just part of our family history now.

<Vom> emoticon

cheekster Sat 08-Aug-09 23:25:54

Yes, definately keep it. Yes, mine at the moment is in a suitcase in the loft - crazy I know as it cost excess of £2000.

I had intentions of making a christening gown out of the silk wrap if DS had been a DD.

But if I am lucky enough to have a DD in time, then I would love her to play weddings in it. I second the family history of wedding dresses too!

SycamoretreeIsFullOfResolve Sat 08-Aug-09 23:34:56

You clean it and then you sell it and do something marvellous and memorable with the cash.

You do it soon, don't linger and you'll never look back.

Sell it, book a fab weekend away for 6 months time.

Or, do like WMMC and buy new shoes.

What will you ever do with it???

MY sis kept hers to sell when she can get back into it [wtf?}

It's a waste. Your daughters, if you have daughters, will want to buy their own.

Now, go, shag your DH and don't give this another thought! grin

geordieminx Mon 10-Aug-09 16:27:52

Before you sell it have a look on ebay and see what similar dresses are selling for.

IMO second hand wedding dresses sell for pennies because a)most brides want new and b) they want to be able to try it on/see it before they buy.

If you want to sell it then thats grand but if you would be gutted if it only sold for £100 or something then keep it... or dontate it to charity.

geordieminx Mon 10-Aug-09 16:31:27

Just had a quick look on ebay, there isnt a single Maggie Sottero 2nd hand dress that sold more more than £100, most of them will have been £1000-£1500 new...
£100 isnt going to get you much of a break away.

It depends on whether you need the money though, and if you are going to sell it then do it now, as it will sell better its current season.

Oh and to get it dry cleaned will probably cost you an arm and a leg. sad

SycamoretreeIsFullOfResolve Mon 10-Aug-09 22:14:35

I sold my Pronovias (think that was the brand) on ebay for 500 quid. I also had a voucher for a half price dry clean that was given to me by the shop I bought the dress from...

It was a very popular dress though..it went to frickin' Florida! It's hard to buy that label in the states apparently.

spiralqueen Tue 18-Aug-09 23:24:53

I've worn mine since at a ball, but it was a champagne colour and didn't scream "wedding dress".

A friend had hers made it into a christening gown which was lovely and will become a family heirloom.

My aunt kept hers and came very close to wearing it at her ruby wedding party as she could still fit into it.

Dry cleaning mine was 75 quid.

kormachameleon Tue 18-Aug-09 23:31:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now