Talk

Advanced search

Oh my god, I've left it too late for bridesmaid dresses - help! :( :( :(

(51 Posts)
Fruityjuice Wed 22-Jul-09 18:27:59

I thought we could just pop in at the weekend to John Lewis, BHS and Monsoon.
Turns out everything is sold out and is end of the line, new stock not in until Sept....
We're getting married on 19th Sept hmm

I need four ivory dresses.
Two age 14 for large 10/11 year olds (probably empire line)
One age 8
One age 4

Preferably under £100

The trouble is, most places only go up to age 13 (which I've been told by their Mum's will be too small)
Adult dresses seem to only be in a colour rather than ivory. Plus I'm not sure an adult dress will fit right on a child? hmm

Why have I left it so late? Why does everything need to be done so far in advance ffs!

SparklyGothKat Wed 22-Jul-09 18:29:04

ebay?

DebiNewberry Wed 22-Jul-09 18:31:18

Can you take one of the 10/11 yo with you? Will be so tricky otherwise to make sure fits?

Otherwise I would be tempted to get 2 from Monsoon for the littlies and find a dressmaker to make something plainer but same style for the older girls

ihavenewsockson Wed 22-Jul-09 18:31:30

here
they go up to 14yrs

Lifeinagoldfishbowl Wed 22-Jul-09 18:32:08

What are you looking for - I was admiring some lovely girls dresses in Tesco yesterday which I could imagine looking nice as bridesmaid outfits.

Do you have a look/colour in mind or could/would you buy a couple of dresses from somewhere staple such as George, Florence and Fred, BHS,

TheProvincialLady Wed 22-Jul-09 18:32:39

Look for a dressmaker, buy a pattern and the fabric and she could have the lot done in a week. I had my BM dresses made as I didn't like the standard fare on offer.

SoupDragon Wed 22-Jul-09 18:32:48

Can you get them made?

ihavenewsockson Wed 22-Jul-09 18:33:20

sorry they weren;t ivory but these are

Northernlurker Wed 22-Jul-09 18:35:13

What's the problem? New stock is coming in September, you're not getting married till the 19th - just get them when they are in. Make sure the monsoon staff phone you as soon as stuff arrives and try to relax! No idea what you can do about the giant bridesmaids though - are they very tall? My dd is 11 and would be swamped in a 14 - as would all have her friends even those who have had growth spurts recently!

Northernlurker Wed 22-Jul-09 18:37:37

looks like monsoon have these online?

Fruityjuice Wed 22-Jul-09 19:11:54

Ooh I'm not sue I could leave it that late Northernlurker, that would freak me out!

I'll show you the ones I wanted to get

John Lewis - But only go up to age 13

BHS - Out of stock in larger sizes online and in London Shops

The older girls are both very tall for their age and large frames. Their parents said they would need age 14. Or maybe an 8-10 adults
(but would be too long and fit wrong)

TheProvincialLady - where do you buy a pattern from? I have no imagination whatsoever so a bit nervous to tell a dressmaker what I want. PErhaps I could just show her the styles I've already found? Is that an expensive way to do it?

The Monsoon ones only seem to go up to age 11 in this one I like

ihavenewsockson - that website looks great and they do an 8 week rush cut option but I only have just over 8 weeks shock - it's a bit tight.

Sparklygoth - Just going over to Ebay now.....

TheProvincialLady Wed 22-Jul-09 19:18:01

You can buy patterns in JL or online at sewdirect.com and loads of other places. Or a good dressmaker could make them from your suggestions/pictures.

seb1 Wed 22-Jul-09 19:18:23

Next maybe

eandh Wed 22-Jul-09 19:19:46

I could check my local bhs store for the older ones and if they have them could post them to you (i have a huge box!!)

Northernlurker Wed 22-Jul-09 19:20:27

Well I bought a wedding dress in less than 6 weeks - and then when the useless shop and their useless dressmaker failed to adjust it to fit I bought another one (didn't pay for the crap one actually) at 4 days notice so i admit i am quite chilled out about these things now grin

LaurieFairyCake Wed 22-Jul-09 19:24:00

The sizes 8-10 really will fit ok - dd is 5ft tall and in age 13-14 clothes and fits great into a size 8. Dresses in particular are easier.

missblythe Wed 22-Jul-09 19:25:59

If you call the BHS in Cardiff and they have them, I can get them for you and post on.

Fruityjuice Wed 22-Jul-09 19:28:57

Aw, that's really sweet of you eandh. I'm trying to get hold of my Mother now. They've got the JL ones in age 12-13. I thought it might be worth ordering them in that size just in case they come up large for sizes hmm
Perhaps, if they have them at your local store, they could send them to a London store? I don't know if they can do that or not.
If they can do that then maybe I could ring round all the BHS stores......

Fruityjuice Wed 22-Jul-09 19:31:05

sorry, crossed posts missblyth, really kind of you too! I'll call the stores tomorrow morning.

Wow, Northernlurker, maybe you were just lucky? smile

CurryMaid Wed 22-Jul-09 19:32:44

Fruity do you wan t me to try my local BHS for those dresses?

PlumBumMum Wed 22-Jul-09 19:33:23

These but they are £52 each

missblythe Wed 22-Jul-09 19:34:09

The JL one is lovely-got to be worth a try-can you take the girls with you to a store to try on, or are they far away?

Fruityjuice Wed 22-Jul-09 19:36:49

I've found this in Littlewoods but it's not that special. Might have to do though as they have age 14 in stock.

shoshe Wed 22-Jul-09 19:38:18

Try [[http://www.next.co.uk/shopping/children/occasion/1/ Next DGD had one from there and it was lovely.

Fruityjuice Wed 22-Jul-09 19:39:41

missblythe - what I can do is order the dresses to our local store (Kingston) and take the girls along smile

PlumBumMum - I saw these too, on the Littlewoods website smile A bit like the other ones I saw on the same website - not all that special

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now