Talk

Advanced search

Would you postpone?

(19 Posts)
FreakishKoala Mon 11-May-20 02:51:57

Wedding is booked for 3 October in Ireland. 40 per cent of guests are coming from the UK and all of the bridal party are in the UAE, US and UK. We are in HK.

I don't think the quarantine announced yesterday will be an issue as we would only transit and it won't apply to people coming in from Ireland. I also understand that the general plan seems to see the UK and Ireland all reopened by October. But I'm concerned about a second wave pushing things back a few weeks and the uncertainty is causing us some stress and issues.

Venue can move it to February - what would you do?

OP’s posts: |
Expat30 Mon 11-May-20 02:55:37

Yes I would move it. I don't see this being solved by October as until there is a vaccine there will be surges in peaks. I would re arrange for February and hopefully by then we have a vaccine

HathorX Mon 11-May-20 02:58:18

Ah what a terrible dilemma. I think I would postpone simply because then the decision is taken and I am not agonising about risk of cancellation. October, though... this is all so tricky.

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 11-May-20 03:29:36

I would get legally married when you like and postpone the party until you can be sure everyone will be able to come.

0DETTE Mon 11-May-20 03:39:37

I’d move it to February.

FreakishKoala Mon 11-May-20 03:41:32

We are already legally married - this was the proper family and friends wedding.... never thought I would have to have this conversation or go through this. Don't want to cancel entirely as we have paid a lot already and I have bought the dress etc,

OP’s posts: |
TimothyTerrible Mon 11-May-20 03:45:05

I would cancel. You are already married, you can have the party when this is properly over. Which won’t be October.

Namechangervaver Mon 11-May-20 03:50:30

You're in Hong Kong? It all sounds too messy. Postpone, especially as you're already legally married.

FreakishKoala Mon 11-May-20 03:52:28

Why does me being legally married mean I would cancel entirely and lose money? Surely I would postpone, not cancel? We have 2 witnesses at the legal event because of distancing so we want to celebrate with family and friends at some point.

Does anyone think February is too soon?

OP’s posts: |
Expat30 Mon 11-May-20 03:53:41

It could be too soon. If you could postpone to next summer it would be better as then you hopefully wouldn't run the risk of having to postpone a second time.

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 11-May-20 04:03:24

Wouldn't postponing to summer be more reliable, both for weather, and for the likelihood of relaxed rules. Lockdown is more likely in the winter months I think.

Gingerkittykat Mon 11-May-20 05:01:13

I would say that October is too soon, even if restrictions are lifted by then there are people like me who would not take the risk of going to a wedding so soon.

I would say February is a much better idea but there is no guarantee what impact the virus will have over the winter.

If I were you I would either try to move to the summer or next October.

AnxiousElephant77 Mon 11-May-20 08:54:50

My wedding is in December and I haven't postponed yet, but simply because the venue haven't given the option to. I'm unsure why people think it won't be solved in October but it will be solved in February. And if you're talking about peaks, February is still winter.

I'd move it, but possibly be prepared to have to move it again.

It's crap. Sorry for all of us having this ruining our much longed for plans.thanks

Elizadoeslittle19 Mon 11-May-20 19:40:46

I would definitely postpone from October, if you could push it further into next year then I would also do that. If you book for February there is the 50/50 chance you might have to postpone again. Good luck.

CuppaZa Wed 13-May-20 03:42:40

Gosh I’d definite move it. I’d go spring/summer next year if possible. I have a feeling we’re in this situation for the long haul. Imagine having to postpone twice!

bravotango Fri 15-May-20 09:05:18

We've postponed our October 3rd wedding until March 6th. I'd postpone to February

AnxiousElephant77 Fri 15-May-20 09:11:41

I haven't postponed yet but I have provisionally booked the same date next year, so I have a plan b. However I would stress our wedding is at the end of December so if we have to go with plan b I'll have given the virus 18 months from now when hopefully things will be brighter.

lemongrassmartini2021 Sun 17-May-20 13:15:20

If you can move without occurring too many costs, I would try to move the date for your own peace of mind

EltonMess Mon 18-May-20 14:55:56

Op we're the same date in the UK and have postponed. Even if things were okay to go ahead, the fear in the run up could very well tarnish it all for you.

@bravotango We've also postponed 3rd of October to March 6th.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in