Talk

Advanced search

June Wedding Thread

(21 Posts)
JorisBonson Wed 18-Mar-20 11:38:18

I don't want to detract from those who's weddings are closer so thought I'd start a new thread.

We're due to get married on the 27th June and I'm getting quite stressed now. I just don't know whether to call it early and postpone til say October, or hold on and see what happens in the coming weeks.

How is everyone else feeling and what are you planning?

OP’s posts: |
Angbunnyboo Wed 18-Mar-20 18:51:11

Ours was meant to be in August, it has now been postponed til next year as we have too many vulnerable guests, and those from overseas coming. Im gutted.

JorisBonson Wed 18-Mar-20 20:41:14

Oh @Angbunnyboo I'm sorry, that so rubbish.

Ours is all very local, very small ceremony then a party in the evening. We're lucky I suppose in that we only have 3 elderly guests and 2 from abroad, it's a train or taxi for everyone else.

DP is still very much in the "wait and see" camp and I just don't know what to do.

Brother and sister in law have just made the decision to postpone their wedding in Italy in September and I feel so sorry for them.

OP’s posts: |
kayakingmum Wed 18-Mar-20 20:47:26

We planning to marry mid-June. At the moment we're going to see what happens with the Coronavirus. It may be that some may choose not to come.

JorisBonson Wed 18-Mar-20 20:57:36

@kayakingmum I feel like that too. I have a few pregnant friends who I'm sure will (rightly so) decide not to come, as well as those that are (rightly) anxious about the whole thing.

Please keep me updated on what you decide to do!

OP’s posts: |
Frenchw1fe Wed 18-Mar-20 21:05:02

My dd is also due to marry June 27th.
She is supposed to choose the food and wine now.
It's really stressful not knowing which way to jump.
She has wedding insurance so may just cancel nearer the time if necessary.
We also have 3 sets of elderly grandparents to consider.

JorisBonson Wed 18-Mar-20 21:21:31

Oh so sorry @Frenchw1fe, I feel for her! It's extraordinarily stressful. We don't have insurance but have only paid deposits so far to everyone but the registry office, which is paid in full. I'm hoping if we have to postpone we can do the same plan, just at a later date.

OP’s posts: |
Frenchw1fe Wed 18-Mar-20 21:27:04

I think my dd will do similar too although she's joking that they'll go to Las Vegas.
It seems mad doesn't it that in 3 months we could still be in this mad situation.

SouthsideOwl Wed 18-Mar-20 21:37:12

Early July here.
I think the problem is (well, apart from literally everything else right now) is that it could second wave us in Oct/Nov and into spring next year..so..yeah.

At the moment, we are steamrolling ahead. Hopefully all will be well, and we'll adapt if we need to.

Local wedding, 80% non travelling guests, v few over 70s, <100 people.

StrongMama1989 Wed 18-Mar-20 21:48:16

Just postpone it until later this year. Then you can chill. Who knows what’s going to happen. Good luck flowers

JorisBonson Thu 19-Mar-20 06:42:49

@SouthsideOwl

* it could second wave us in Oct/Nov and into spring next year.*

This is exactly DP's train of thought! Your message has made me a bit better about powering through.

Our registry office is a heritage site and they're just stopped doing public tours so the choice could be taken away anyway.

@Frenchw1fe it really does. Life is very surreal right now.

I have definitely written off our honeymoon in Seville.

OP’s posts: |
Tillypea Thu 19-Mar-20 16:02:18

June 6th here. Currently in the undecided camp. I do think we will end up postponing though. sad

HaddawayAndShite Fri 20-Mar-20 17:53:52

June 6th too. I’m guessing after this enforced closure our venue will close. I really don’t want to postpone as this year is so uncertain. I’m close to cancelling the entire thing and just going ahead with our legal wedding (which was due to be on the 4th). I’m so incredibly sad.

kayakingmum Fri 20-Mar-20 19:42:27

National Trust cancelled our wedding today sad
We were planning on getting married on the 20th June 2020 but NT head office have made the decision to cancel all weddings scheduled to take place before the end of June. They said we could rebook for 2021 if we want.
Not sure what to do at the moment. I think we are going to tell people NT have cancelled but we will make plans early May to have a different wedding, hopefully later in 2020.

JorisBonson Fri 20-Mar-20 19:58:39

So sorry guys. It's so shit and frustrating.

I got a list of available dates in September / October / November from our registry office today after they restricted weddings to just 2 witnesses. Will call round everywhere else on Monday and they to get a suitable date in.

OP’s posts: |
Potterurotter Sat 21-Mar-20 17:21:37

Hi all

I also am not sure what to do, as supposed to be getting married June 20th and today registrar said from March 23rd it is maximum 10 people in attendance plus the couple.

Don’t know whether to just keep going as was 68 originally; could do ceremony and then have guests arriving after as venue said they are not closing 🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️

CuppaZa Sat 21-Mar-20 17:25:28

A lot of venues are closing now, with no idea of when they will be opening again. It’s sucks OP, I’m sorry. A friend is getting married this summer and I’m about to RSVP declining (with a heavy heart) as I just can’t risk my high risk DC

JorisBonson Mon 23-Mar-20 16:46:02

We've postponed. Managed to get all the venue's the same, so we've not lost any money.

And I can ease off the Slim Fast for a few months 😂

OP’s posts: |
Mumtobe193 Wed 25-Mar-20 01:48:01

Mid June wedding here. It’s abroad, we havent postponed yet but I’m 99.9% sure that’s what we will end up having to do. But we can’t pick another date just yet as our flights haven't actually been cancelled as of yet and if we and our guests decide to cancel/change flight dates of our own accord we would lose our money/incur additional costs. So I have to wait for the tour operator to cancel before I can do anything. Plus we want to get a clearer idea of how the situation’s looking in a couple of months time before we make the call to postpone for later in the summer or next year. Our venue and suppliers have been great and have all agreed we can postpone at no extra cost if we need to.

The last few weeks have definitely shown us what an uncertain world we live in and ideally we really don’t want to have to wait to be husband and wife. That considered, we did consider going to the town hall just the two of us in June, postponing the reception until next summer and turning that into a big 1 year anniversary party with all our friends and family in the sun. But we then realised that wouldn't logistically work as 1. Our local city hall is now closed and 2. Even if it did reopen gatherings of more than 5 people (which has now been reduced to 2) are banned, we have 2 children, no childcare available currently, so ourselves, the registrar and our kids would make 5 and our children are 1 and 4 and therefore nowhere near old enough to act as witnesses.

It really sucks right now knowing the day that you planned and saved and dreamed for probably won’t go ahead. But I just have to remind myself that it is not the most important thing in the grand scheme of things and when our big day finally can go ahead it will be all the more amazing to be amongst family and friends and having something to celebrate when all of this is over.

It really puts things into perspective doesn’t it? Just a few weeks ago I was worrying about what hair accessory I would wear, whether my flowers would match the centrepiece flowers etc etc. Now I would just be grateful if it went ahead at all and we could have everyone we love there to celebrate with us. The details suddenly seem less important.

Purplequalitystreet Wed 25-Mar-20 11:12:47

I've just postponed until April 2021. Feel more reassured now.

Cantdecidewhich Thu 26-Mar-20 09:50:10

We are 20th June and have decided to sit and wait for a while, fingers crossed.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in