Talk

Advanced search

Should I reciprocate wedding invite?

(10 Posts)
catface5 Wed 19-Feb-20 12:23:49

I am currently planning the invite list for my wedding, and I'm wondering whether I should invite a girl from work whose wedding evening do I attended last year.

We aren't close - she invited the whole team to her wedding - and we were only invited to the evening do (we all paid for our own drinks so we wouldn't have cost her much/anything). Do I need to invite her to mine? We aren't having an evening do, all our guests are invited for the full day, so I can't reciprocate in kind.

I will be inviting one or two friends from work who I am close with, which is why it could be a bit awkward...

Any advice very gratefully received!

OP’s posts: |
StylishMummy Wed 19-Feb-20 12:27:50

Don't reciprocate for the sake of it!

Makegoodchoices Wed 19-Feb-20 12:29:12

Nope, if they’re not someone you care about don’t invite them - wish I’d done that, my wedding photos are full of people I felt pressured to invite and haven’t seen in the decade since!

Elizadoeslittle19 Wed 19-Feb-20 20:42:18

No you definitely don't have to as your weddings are of a different style.

MrsChoc Thu 20-Feb-20 05:08:51

No, no need to invite.

Mumdiva99 Thu 20-Feb-20 05:13:10

No. As long as you haven't invited everyone else and left her out. Your wedding sounds a smaller affair with all invited all day. As you say just a couple from work......are they really friends? Do you go out with them separate from work? If not I would question their invite too.....

catface5 Thu 20-Feb-20 09:35:40

Thanks for the advice! It is a much smaller affair with everyone invited for the entirety. The venue is a bit out the way and just coming for the evening would be a pain anyway.

Re colleagues I have invited - yes, the two I have invited I see outside of work. It's quite a big team and I'm only inviting two so definitely not a case of only one person being left out.

catface5 Thu 20-Feb-20 09:35:42

Thanks for the advice! It is a much smaller affair with everyone invited for the entirety. The venue is a bit out the way and just coming for the evening would be a pain anyway.

Re colleagues I have invited - yes, the two I have invited I see outside of work. It's quite a big team and I'm only inviting two so definitely not a case of only one person being left out.

Normandy144 Sat 22-Feb-20 19:41:57

Stick to your guns. We had 90 at our wedding and stuck to all day guests only with no evening additions. It meamt we avoided any work colleagues or casual friends, wr only invited people we really wanted to be there. I think you can easily justify it if the work colleagues you are inviting at good friends outside of work and presumably you've known them longer.

Greybutterfly Wed 08-Apr-20 00:22:12

Absolutely not. Invite people that mean something to you. You do not even need to justify yourself.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in