Talk

Advanced search

Bouquet charms

(20 Posts)
amy1245 Fri 05-Jul-19 14:37:24

I'm looking for some advice?

I am getting married and have bouquet charms for all my bridesmaids.

On them it reads.

" their name

Today you are my bridesmaid,
but one day you will hold the bouquet.
Keep this charm as something old for your own wedding day"
Then the date of our wedding.

My question is, one of my bridesmaids has a learning disability, she is 18 and it is very unlikely she will ever live independently enough to form a relationship which will end in marriage. I desperately am trying to find the appropriate wording to put on this charm so she can be included.

I'm just not sure what to write? Can anybody help?

I was thinking something along the lines of.

" her name"

Today you are my bridesmaid,

but forever have been my lucky charm.

Then something about keeping the lucky charm to bring her happiness? But how could I word it? Any advice would be grateful !!

Beepbopadee Fri 05-Jul-19 15:30:18

Ooh it's quite hard as not much rhymes with charm or luck hmm

How about...

Today you are my bridesmaid

But you have always been close to my heart

May this charm bring you happiness & remind you of me when we're apart

Or maybe something like

Today you are my bridesmaid

You are so special to me

Keep this charm safe & may it bring you lots of happiness & glee

Love a rhyming challenge grin

amy1245 Fri 05-Jul-19 17:09:58

@Beepbopadee THANK YOU!!!!! Love the first one.! Going to go with that.!! X

Beepbopadee Fri 05-Jul-19 17:17:06

Aww you're welcome xx

Icedlatte Fri 05-Jul-19 17:19:52

Sorry but I think it would be incredibly hurtful for her to see that you believe the others will get married, and not her. It's likely they will coo over them and discuss the wording so likely she would see/hear.

Tbh even before I read about the alternative wording I thought it a bit presumptuous that you are assuming they all will/will want to get married anyway.maybe go for a lucky charm message for them all?

Pootles34 Fri 05-Jul-19 17:24:03

Yes agree with icedlatte, the 'close to my heart' is best for all of them.

StrippingTheVelvet Fri 05-Jul-19 17:26:35

Definitely use the PPs suggestion or something else for them all. That first one is so patronising.

Magmatic80 Fri 05-Jul-19 17:27:47

Yes I’d def avoid any reference to future weddings for all of them. I’d be quite offended at the presumption, and I’m in a long term relationship.
I love the idea of charms in bridesmaid bouquets though, how lovely!

titchy Fri 05-Jul-19 17:28:32

Yeah first one hideous sorry! Patronising and presumptuous. Go for the other suggestion if you want some flowery words. Personally I'd just go with their name and date.

Beepbopadee Fri 05-Jul-19 19:13:09

Presumably you know them well enough to know that they would like to be married one day but I do kind of agree that having 1 with a different message might be quite hurtful. However she may see it that she is the most special as she has a unique message, you know her best so do what you think it the right thing. Maybe it would be better for them all to have a personal message? Happy to think of more rhymes if you need it, lol xx

amy1245 Fri 05-Jul-19 21:32:55

@Icedlatte

Do you not think I know my bridesmaids.

All the other bridesmaids are actually engaged. The 4th bridesmaid is actually my cousin. She will not ever get married which totally breaks my heart.

I know her like the back of my hand, so it's not presumptuous at all. Infact she won't even be able to read it, I'm re-wording it more for the sake of my aunt. To show my aunt how adored she is and how I will always look after her.
People like you, frustrate me so much.

OBVIOUSLY.. I know my bridesmaids

amy1245 Fri 05-Jul-19 21:34:40

@Beepbopadee exactly right. She is the most special to me.

The wording isn't for her, it's for my aunt. She can't read, she doesn't have capacity to even understand

OldUnit Fri 05-Jul-19 21:37:36

Massive drip feed there, OP. confused

Beepbopadee Fri 05-Jul-19 21:38:18

Then it's definitely a lovely gesture that your aunt will 100% appreciate you doing flowers xx

lostfrequencies Fri 05-Jul-19 21:38:44

Yep oldunit.

OP there's no need to get so ratty about it.

Beepbopadee Fri 05-Jul-19 21:59:56

Maybe people should get off their high horses & not make such presumptions in the first place. OP was just pointing out that she knows her bridesmaids well. She only asked for advice on the wording not for a mumsnet attack on her situation.

Epcar Wed 10-Jul-19 19:33:15

@lostfrequencies

OP there's no need to get so ratty about it.

Yes there is; although some people looked at the situation and thought about singling one bridesmaid out ans pointed out a potential pitfall, others were completely and pointlessly rude to the OP!

BuzzShitbagBobbly Wed 10-Jul-19 19:38:02

Yep with pp. Very off to assume they will all get married AND that they will want your thing as their "old"

RosaWaiting Wed 10-Jul-19 19:41:16

Massive drip feed ....

lostfrequencies Wed 10-Jul-19 19:42:56

Epcar, one person said they thought that the idea of the charms were hideous, that's the only thing I can see that could be interpreted as rude. Not sure why you think it's even necessary to drag this thread back out to say that.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »