Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else waiting for their wedding to end up on here or AIBU? [grin]

(18 Posts)
churchthecat Wed 24-Apr-19 15:09:44

Getting married soon so keenly reading all of the threads about people pissed off with guest lists/gift requests/evening invites/child exclusions etc.

Is anyone else reading these threads thinking oh bloody hell, someone is going to do a thread about being pissed off about a wedding invite or something, and it'll end up being about your wedding?

We are possibly doing a few things that might piss people off, but at the same time people are very welcome to decline as the MN saying goes!

OP’s posts: |
Wacadu Wed 24-Apr-19 15:11:00

I always check out the wedding ones just in case it's mine. Hasn't been so far.

churchthecat Wed 24-Apr-19 15:17:15

What are you doing that is going to annoy people?

churchthecat Wed 24-Apr-19 15:30:35

We're not inviting anyone at all to the actual ceremony. We're only having a party. In a field.

SheWoreBlueVelvet Wed 24-Apr-19 17:33:41

I found the AIBU interesting because so many posters hated the same things at weddings s gave a good over view especially as I hadn’t been to many recently.
I had a destination wedding in October half term.. Endless threads last year about how entitled it was, guests hating the expense, guests hating taking leave etc etc.
As it happens because we are “of an age” it was pretty ideal for many of our retired, self employed and teacher friends.and family Close enough to the UK with a budget airline. Glamorous and much warmer weather than the Uk. Lots of people went out before half term and stayed into the week. It wasn’t cheap per se but lots of our guests sctually aren’t hard up. So I usually back the bride decisions on here because you can’t assume other people’s circumstances or day will be anything like yours.

churchthecat Wed 24-Apr-19 20:31:16

Ha! Well done for the overseas. It was my preference.

Instead we're having no ceremony. Party in a field with kegs. No children. No invites for elderly relatives we haven't seen in years. I'm wearing green.

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Wed 24-Apr-19 20:35:33

Are you wearing grass green churchthecat? I'm just wondering if your wedding photos will be just your head, hands and feet with your dress blending into the grassy field. grin

churchthecat Wed 24-Apr-19 21:06:40

No it's a sage green!

That has occurred to me, that I might just look like a decapitated head on my photos grin

churchthecat Wed 24-Apr-19 21:12:11

Like this

churchthecat Wed 24-Apr-19 21:13:31

Still, the elders are concerned that's it's not very virginal bridal.

I'll be nearly 37.

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Wed 24-Apr-19 21:17:35

That's so pretty. (Don't stand in front of a willow tree or other tree with green/silver leaves.) wink

The white dress is nothing to do with virginity, it was a fashion set by Queen Victoria because she thought she looked good in white. Before that women wore the fanciest dress they could afford in a colour that suited them so that they could wear it again for best.

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Wed 24-Apr-19 21:18:47

Notice that I am glossing over your implication that you might have had sex before marriage. shock grin

KateyKube Wed 24-Apr-19 21:18:49

I bet my wedding was on a forum somewhere. The venue forgot to hand out welcome drinks, I had homemade cupcakes because I couldn’t afford a wedding cake and they weren’t very nice, people had to make their own way from the church to the reception because I couldn’t afford a bus (or a wedding car - we had to drive ourselves), and to top it off the photo booth photographer forgot his printer so nobody got a printed photo (we handed them out later but some people never got them).

Onemorefortheroad Wed 24-Apr-19 21:18:56

Your wedding sounds amazing! Great fun!

I don't think we are doing anything controversial really... no gift list or begging for money poem 🤨🤭, mostly all
Full Day guests... the only thing is no children except my own and close family but I couldn't care less if people take issue with that, even my best friend and BM doesn't want her child there as it's a day for the adults to enjoy 😊

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Wed 24-Apr-19 21:21:05

I got married before the internet, maybe people did criticise my wedding but they would have had to do one-on-one and I never heard about it if they did.

Onemorefortheroad Wed 24-Apr-19 21:24:27

Oh I'm just thinking... had a major falling out with (now ex) friend over being a bridesmaid so she may have posted on here... 🤔

churchthecat Wed 24-Apr-19 21:26:26

Oh I'll easily eclipse any nice pale green tree, I'm easily 3 stone heavier than that skinny model.

We're also having a homemade cake, hopefully it won't be rank. Might do it so it comes out only once the keg is under 25% so people will be pissed 🤣

Did you all have a lovely time regardless? I'd love to know if anyone has spotted their own wedding on AIBU.

Wacadu Wed 24-Apr-19 22:00:21

*What are you doing that is going to annoy people?*

Nothing that I know of but that doesn't mean anything.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in